Open brain coral trouble

ncholakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I try and add a new open brain it seems to die right away. I have the eco tech radios gen 3 on the SPS AB mode salt 1.025 calcium 420 alkalinity 9.5. Any advice?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. How old is the tank? How's the nutrient levels, are your current parameters stable? If you can provide more info on all the parameters, tank age, it will help with diagnosing possible issues. How long does the brain coral last, pics help too.

OP
OP
N

ncholakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels have been stable tanks been up and running almost 4 years. Picture is from the 2 days after I got it, and it was fully open in the store. Now today 3 days after getting it there is even more skeleton exposed.

EC916053-D477-440E-BBCC-F0670C00644D.jpeg

OP
OP
N

ncholakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels have been stable tanks been up and running almost 4 years. Picture is from the 2 days after I got it, and it was fully open in the store. Now today 3 days after getting it there is even more skeleton exposed.

EC916053-D477-440E-BBCC-F0670C00644D.jpeg
Also it’s a 75 gallon tank

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your trouble. If these guys are damaged in any way, they can suffer and die fast. They need low flow and lower light. Biggest problem I have found with them is when the store bags them, they do it too fast. You need to make sure they fully pull into the skeleton before taking them out of the water or they can tear easily.

I have also found some worms to damage them too. Do I see a flame angel? They like the feeders at night. Could be a problem.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I was having problems with some years ago and found my Copperband was picking on them. Took a few to realize it was her/him.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice trachyphillia. Try making sure it's flat on the sand bed. Flame angel could be a possibility of nipping at the coral. Our trachy likes low to medium light and medium indirect flow.

OP
OP
N

ncholakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I was having problems with some years ago and found my Copperband was picking on them. Took a few to realize it was her/him.
Yes I don’t notice the angel picking at all. But I did notice that at the fish store they just put it right into the bag every time that could be the problem. Thank you!

ethankap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and it died due to a combination (I think) of serial abuse from a electric blue hermit crab, too much light and not enough nutrients (tank was too clean). It was great for two weeks though.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and I keep it flat on the sand bed and in the corner of my tank. It is huge now and have two snowflake clowns who've hosted it. Weird but it is in a spot where the light is at the lowest par and flow. May need to move it out of direct intensity of your radions and check to see if there is something messing with. Use a light at night as well to be sure.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, feed those puppies. Some mysis an hour after bedtime goes a long way every few days.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read every comment but I've had problems in the past with certain carbons killing or ticking off LPS.
Remove carbon and wait a month you should see it come back around. If that not the case I'm sure someone else has pin pointed it.

Back