Open Window Season and pH Fluctuations

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're at that time of year when the windows in the house are open. All winter long my pH stays around 8.2-8.3. Today with the windows open I'm up to 8.5. How high do you let yours go during the summer? Last summer my tank was only 6 months old but I had several LPSs simultaneously experience polyp bailout and I suspect this may have been one of the reasons. Thanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your ph sensor/meter is calibrated. 8.5 seems high, but do able if dosing ph enhancers, or scrubbing co2.
My apex was high by 0.15 until calibrated recently.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I reach 8.5 if I don’t have my skimmer shut off via apex after 8.45 is reached

However I use a scrubber not a window? Good gas exchange going on huh ‘

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are using very high pH additives that are boosting the pH, high pH is typically not something that needs attention.

In cases, where it may get high (say, 8.6 or higher) more aeration will solve the problem unless alkalinity is also very high (> 11 dKH).

OP
OP
See Gee Sea

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are using very high pH additives that are boosting the pH, high pH is typically not something that needs attention.

In cases, where it may get high (say, 8.6 or higher) more aeration will solve the problem unless alkalinity is also very high (> 11 dKH).
Thanks as usual Randy! The suggested posts that came up when I typed the question didn't have the posts earlier in April where you had answered this already but I appreciate you answering it, yet again, for me!

Back