Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I need to stop overthinking and buy my lights already. I’ve been reading and watching videos for over a week. I first couldn’t pick between Radion and kessil. Then came the t5/led hybrids with kessil or Radion. Then the Orpheks. After reading and reading about the poor customer service that orphek offers I will stay far far away from a company like that, especially when we will know Radion and kessil do a great job anyways.
So I got it down to t5/led with 2 kessil or 2 xr15. After watching videos on the g5...I went with the g5 (since I have the mp40s and vectra return). But now I was thinking...
Do I do t5/led hybrid with 2 xr15
Or
3 xr15s?

Basically the new aquatic life dx18 is more expensive than a single xr15. So the 3 xr15s would actually be cheaper by about 100$ And would only have to deal with one app to control the lights( as I have bought the apex yet)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 225 gal 72x30x24 tank upgrade I will go with a Aquatic Life 61in DX18 fixture with 5 Xr15 G5 Blues. Multiple xr15's actually have better coverage than a single bigger fixture. I like the Aquatic Life fixture because of the depth of the T5's as they are spread out wider. To get the same coverage I would have to go with 10 XR15 G5's. You either have to completely cover that tank with LED's, whether is Radion's or Kessil's makes no difference, or go with a Hybrid for complete coverage.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 225 gal 72x30x24 tank upgrade I will go with a Aquatic Life 61in DX18 fixture with 5 Xr15 G5 Blues. Multiple xr15's actually have better coverage than a single bigger fixture. I like the Aquatic Life fixture because of the depth of the T5's as they are spread out wider. To get the same coverage I would have to go with 10 XR15 G5's. You either have to completely cover that tank with LED's, whether is Radion's or Kessil's makes no difference, or go with a Hybrid for complete coverage.

It is my first tank so I am going for more of a mixed reef tank because I want to see everything in there growing not too much of a spa fanatic yet. Just want whatever has color and is pretty but def want to maintain the tank for some sps.
So i am guessing you are saying to go for the t5 with 2 xr15s and maybe upgrade with another xr15 in the future? I don't really care about the cost that much but don't want to waste $$ either

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the new kessils that just came out look great. I run radion G5s 3 of them. but i do like the kessils.
TBH i think (which means no REAL experience just FYI) from watching 100s of vids and reading that the kessils have not made anything that is better than their 360x line. And i know they are awesome lights but i like the radions a little more, especially the xr15 because price wise its about the same but they are much newer and gives you more flexibility over the xr30 or AP9X. For example, the BRS guys did the xr15 test and basically go amazing coverage with 4 xr15s (roughly $1600) instead of 3 xr30s (2400$). Idk i seem to be a fan of ecotech randomly without even trying.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the hybrid setup for what it can give you, the best of both worlds. I would go with the hybrid and 2 XR15 G5's.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well think the coverage on the XR15s is better than the 30s. i run 3 over a 61" very heavy stocked sps tank and have no issues running them at 70% 12 inches off the water. the par in my 61" X 24" deep tank is great. im at 198 to the bottom of the tank

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the T5/radions. Oddly enough Im ordering the DX18's today myself. I am setting up a 180 gallon tank. While I haven't settled on what my LED's will be as i have time to do that for a new tank that won't have corals right off the bat I don't need to figure that out just yet for some fish and rocks. I am leaning in the direction of those radion G5's tho. They are nice and I'm not sure i trust the 360x line just yet for longevity vs price, but that's just a perception thing, not experienced based. Where are you ordering from? I wanna make sure I click buy first in case inventory is low LOL! Good luck however you decide to go.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well think the coverage on the XR15s is better than the 30s. i run 3 over a 61" very heavy stocked sps tank and have no issues running them at 70% 12 inches off the water. the par in my 61" X 24" deep tank is great. im at 198 to the bottom of the tank
Wow that's nice to know. Thanks. Cant get better advice than life experience

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the T5/radions. Oddly enough Im ordering the DX18's today myself. I am setting up a 180 gallon tank. While I haven't settled on what my LED's will be as i have time to do that for a new tank that won't have corals right off the bat I don't need to figure that out just yet for some fish and rocks. I am leaning in the direction of those radion G5's tho. They are nice and I'm not sure i trust the 360x line just yet for longevity vs price, but that's just a perception thing, not experienced based. Where are you ordering from? I wanna make sure I click buy first in case inventory is low LOL! Good luck however you decide to go.
We are in the same boat I see. Ya I think I gave up on the kessils but will be getting the h80 for the fuge since I cant find a ecotech priced at that point for a fuge.
If I go the t5/led route which I think I am. I will do exactly as you said. i will buy dx18 now and the lights in about 2 months and maybe by then (probably not) ill be more sure what I want lol. But I think it honestly doesn't matter and I am wasting time overthinking it. They are all great lights but I will not go with a company without CS. Thats why I will buy from BRS. Those guys are awesome and the amount of vids they produce I will support for sure

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a fuge? the Kessil H380 is the best fuge light in the business period..

3 weeks growth in my 30 gallon fuge. Mind you i was even ulm at the time, p04 was .03 n03 was undetectable. the light flat out grows Cheato.

20200105_171158.jpg.bfc519e23cacce73f60d47efe16177da.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the same boat I see. Ya I think I gave up on the kessils but will be getting the h80 for the fuge since I cant find a ecotech priced at that point for a fuge.
If I go the t5/led route which I think I am. I will do exactly as you said. i will buy dx18 now and the lights in about 2 months and maybe by then (probably not) ill be more sure what I want lol. But I think it honestly doesn't matter and I am wasting time overthinking it. They are all great lights but I will not go with a company without CS. Thats why I will buy from BRS. Those guys are awesome and the amount of vids they produce I will support for sure
This is funny, I'm buying from them too, they are right down the road from me. I've agonized over this for the last month, like you said watching so much content on it my gf was gonna commit me for therapy. In the end I think what ever i choose I'll always second guess myself so i decided to pick something, learn and acquire real life experience then adjust as i go. These things are so darned expensive I'm glad I can just make due with the T5's for now and then kill myself all over again with choosing LED's down the road a bit. Perhaps I missed it, what is your tank size? I'm going with two 36" fixtures over my tank as I want to experiment with dimmable fixtures.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks growth in my 30 gallon fuge. Mind you i was even ulm at the time, p04 was .03 n03 was undetectable. the light flat out grows Cheato.

20200105_171158.jpg.bfc519e23cacce73f60d47efe16177da.jpg
Wow...you don't think the H80 is good enough? It will probably be either 8,10 or 12by18. I am in the process of creating my 40gal breeder diy sump so I am not sure yet. I couldn't find the h380 online on bars or marinedepot. Are they discontinued? But looks like 300$ vs 130 for the h80

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is funny, I'm buying from them too, they are right down the road from me. I've agonized over this for the last month, like you said watching so much content on it my gf was gonna commit me for therapy. In the end I think what ever i choose I'll always second guess myself so i decided to pick something, learn and acquire real life experience then adjust as i go. These things are so darned expensive I'm glad I can just make due with the T5's for now and then kill myself all over again with choosing LED's down the road a bit. Perhaps I missed it, what is your tank size? I'm going with two 36" fixtures over my tank as I want to experiment with dimmable fixtures.
Haha. Thats awesome at least another person in my same boat after doing that much research has come to the same conclusions. I have 48x24x24 120g tank and a 40 diy breeder in process to be the sump. I will be doing the 48" since its exactly the size of my tank and want the dimmable option too just cuz it looks much nicer and its apex ready for the future.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything seems so hard to find these days. I can't find ATI Blue+ 36" bulbs anywhere today online :(
yup covid ++++++ up manufacturing. delays on almost all ecotech products

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Thats awesome at least another person in my same boat after doing that much research has come to the same conclusions. I have 48x24x24 120g tank and a 40 diy breeder in process to be the sump. I will be doing the 48" since its exactly the size of my tank and want the dimmable option too just cuz it looks much nicer and its apex ready for the future.
nice size! My last DT was a 40, great tank, should make a great sump. Wish they had 80w dimmable fixtures but oh well... That fixture should be perfect for your tank size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back