Opinions ? Black or gold torch ? and why ?

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get one or maybe both, just looking to get opinions , recomendations , and feed back fro. People who have kept them . Thanks all.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold torches are bit expensive, but looks awesome. I dont see any specific care requirements other than standard torch stuff. They have long tentacles and they sting, so space is important

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold Aussie torch and it is beautiful. I agree with Ranjib as far as care and spacing. This is an old pic. It is twice as big now.

IMG_0317.JPG

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold. I love it. Have seen prices are very high lately though. Would have to agree, I want a Black now too.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both, they are very beautiful, I would recommend getting both
9f3d1964f48acb37456d46999185016f.jpg

What kind of filter are you using? I have an app, it doesn’t well on some coral, but hates my gold torch, ha.

kwan8911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filter are you using? I have an app, it doesn’t well on some coral, but hates my gold torch, ha.

I am using a yellow clip on sun glasses for my iPhone. $12 for 2 on Amazon , works like a charm.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is intriguing to me to see the variances in torch anatomy. My gold has long thin "tentacles" for a lack of a better term. While twans are shorter and thicker.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is intriguing to me to see the variances in torch anatomy. My gold has long thin "tentacles" for a lack of a better term. While twans are shorter and thicker.

My understanding is that Aussie golds are the thicker, with Indos being thinner. It is super interesting. I have a green one that’s super thick, I’ll post it if I have a photo.

kwan8911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that Aussie golds are the thicker, with Indos being thinner. It is super interesting. I have a green one that’s super thick, I’ll post it if I have a photo.

That is also my understanding, my black and gold torches are sold to me as Aussies.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get both if you can afford em. I really really REALLY want a aussie gold (and black) I did hear there a bit harder to keep for some reason. maybe not the best shippers? I agree they have always been spendy but the prices just keep going up?
I would think it would be the other way more ppl have tham frag them more supply to meet the demand =price drop.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are lucky in Australia that gold torches are pretty cheap. Not sure how they fare with shipping etc.

I'm new to reefing and the gold torch was my first coral. So far it has just looked better and better with each passing day without any special care. It's hard to explain how amazing the deep, burnt gold and blue tips look. Still probably my favourite euphyllia.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are lucky in Australia that gold torches are pretty cheap. Not sure how they fare with shipping etc.

I'm new to reefing and the gold torch was my first coral. So far it has just looked better and better with each passing day without any special care. It's hard to explain how amazing the deep, burnt gold and blue tips look. Still probably my favourite euphyllia.

They seem to go for about $120 to $175 per head in the U.S. currently. Mine has done well for about two months so far, but I picked it up after being at the shop for awhile. I’ve read they come from an area where the river ends, so brackish (or at least dilute and changing salinity), more variable temps, variable clarity, silt, turbid, in short, not like our reef tanks, if it’s true. Agree, favorite euphyllia.

Edit: I remember where I heard this information. It was in Tidal Gardens’ video on torches, narrater said it was anecdotal from a diver friend (I think). Believes this may explain their touchy reputation (which I’m unsure is deserved).

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lucky you! a gold torch as your 1st coral! yet another reason way I should move to Australasia! ...lol

They seem to go for about $120 to $175 per head in the U.S. currently. Mine has done well for about two months so far, but I picked it up after being at the shop for awhile. I’ve read they come from an area where the river ends, so brackish (or at least dilute and changing salinity), more variable temps, variable clarity, silt, turbid, in short, not like our reef tanks, if it’s true. Agree, favorite euphyllia.

Edit: I remember where I heard this information. It was in Tidal Gardens’ video on torches, narrater said it was anecdotal from a diver friend (I think). Believes this may explain their touchy reputation (which I’m unsure is deserved).

I almost bought one about 8-12 months ago then I hear there a bit touchy so I could not justify spending the $$ wish there where more info on them. maybe they need to be accumulated a different way? like slowing bringing the temps and salinity up over a course of a moth at the collector /wholesaler that would justify the price in my mind...

kwan8911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you humor the reefers in US and tell what is going price for a gold torch in Australia?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why decide, if u can buy both, personally I have 4, a black, an actual rainbow, 21 tails, and a green torch. Couldn't pick one, so I got them all, like the way they look.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got a large head for $60 AUD.

That’s 44 bucks, lady’s and gentleman. I can only imagine all the awesome reef stuff you can get for prices we can only dream of! Check out liveaquaria divers den and see how crazy the LPS prices are getting here now.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very lucky. My jaw hit the floor when I saw what you guys pay for Australian scolymia. They are popular here too and comparatively expensive but not those prices.

I think there are some pretty big differences between the scenes. We pay premium on equipment. I mean, often extortionate. The "frag" industry isn't as developed here. Corals tend not to be branded, fragged and flogged on tiny frag plugs for big prices. We get lots of wild colonies. If you keep your eyes open you can often find colonies that are unusual and rare. Despite having reefs on 3 coasts we miss out on some of the stuff you guys get regularly due to strict quarantine and collection regulations. Actually, I don't mind that bit so much. It's nice to know our wild stock isn't in danger from over collection and cyanide.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back