Opinions on daisy polyps?

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed some pioneering done by what I believe to be a daisy polyp. Was a freebie at my LFS due to the algae on it and was unlabeled.
I've read some horror stories about them taking over entire ranks, but was after I had mounted it.
What are your opinions on these things? Worth keeping? Or more of a nuisance? Will they overtake other corals or polyps?
20180510_185820.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed some pioneering done by what I believe to be a daisy polyp. Was a freebie at my LFS due to the algae on it and was unlabeled.
I've read some horror stories about them taking over entire ranks, but was after I had mounted it.
What are your opinions on these things? Worth keeping? Or more of a nuisance? Will they overtake other corals or polyps?
20180510_185820.jpg
I think daisy polyp is another name for GSP, or Briareum? Hard to be sure with common names.

It will spread everywhere by continuing to ooze along.
The good news is they don't normally shed like xenia or anthelia and pop up everywhere. They need contact to cover the world.

It normally grows towards the light.

You can control it by trapping it high up on the rocks to begin with. Then it has no where to go.

A lot of people grow it on the back glass for color and flow.
A lot of people grow it out on the sand well away from the rocks. It oozes along the sand and they just cut it with a razorblade when it gets too close to the rocks. It is pretty easy to razor off the back glass if you change your mind later.
It is really pretty in the right location. [emoji4]

Worst case scenario is starting it near the bottom of the rocks. It will grow towards the light and envelope almost everything it comes in contact with.
[emoji53]

First photo is our long tentacle GSP trapped on the top of the rock.

Second photo is a different variety near the back of the tank.

Third photo is Corky finger. It's a (not as colorful) stick variety of Briareum instead of an oozing variety.
That one is 2 years old. You just keep cutting it with a pair of scissors and setting the sticks back in the rocks to make it more bushy.
a3fe6304dd6cc91b507ac04b2c04fb1f.jpg
3a98350443e3d43b47e6943100f56df7.jpg
f0df5994261150754a507206f70e37ef.jpg

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're different than GSP. Mine grow out little tubes (looks like yours are as well) and now polyps sprout out of that. So far, I've kept them contained by just cutting and removing the new tubes. Mine doesn't grow too fast and is on a piece of acrylic so it's very manageable.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back