Soft corals stocking plans

BlueSallymandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a total newbie, and I'm not ready to buy corals yet, but starting to do my research about them. I have a 14 gallon BioCube that I'm setting up as a nano reef. I think I want to mostly do soft corals, since I'm a beginner and the feathery polyps really appeal to me aesthetically.

Pulsing Xenia (on a small rock island by itself)
Disco mushrooms
Green Kenya tree
Clove polyps
Maybe a gorgonian once I get more experience?

Will the Xenia overgrow if it's on a rock by itself? I've read they are a horror but I just love the look of them and was thinking it might not be so bad to have a little colony near the front. Any advice on what order I should add these, or how established the tank should be first?

I don't want anything too dangerous to humans, which is why zoas didn't make the list - they sure are pretty.

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert on this topic but I have researched/kept some of the corals mentioned (I’ve kept a tank for a year and eight months and corals for a year of that)
I’ve never kept Xenia but from what I’ve heard/read pulsing Xenia is capable of escaping rock islands by releasing a few individual polyps, if you want to keep it contained it would need to be “trimmed” or maintained to stay on one rock.
There are other types of Xenia and I believe some types of ruby red Xenia pulse and are a bit more slower growing and easier controlled, I also have no experience with red Xenia but I have research a little on them.
I do have Kenya trees and they will drop a pice of them every now and then and that will spread too, they are much easier to control.
Some soft corals (I believe Kenya trees are included and a few more) do release toxins that can slow the growth of other corals, I have heard carbon can help remove this.
I don’t know how established the tank should be I would at least say to cycle the tank.
Sorry this is a bit long, hope this helps.
If anyone sees that I’m (anything I wrote here) am wrong, feel free to correct me, I’m also still learning about keeping a reef tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlueSallymandr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I did a bit of reading about the ruby red Xenia and I think I will go with them when the time comes. I don't mind the extra cost because I just love the look of them. It should be easier to rehome any extras if they do multiply :D

My understanding is that the green variety of the Kenya trees are a lot less quick to propagate themselves compared with the standard variety, but please anyone feel free to chime in if you have a different experience.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some entrusting gorgonians are similar in appearance to xenia but slower growing and can't throw clusters to spread. Could consider that. They encrusted a bit then grow outward into tubes. This is about 5 inches tall. Here's mine
1000004161.jpg

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I did a bit of reading about the ruby red Xenia and I think I will go with them when the time comes. I don't mind the extra cost because I just love the look of them. It should be easier to rehome any extras if they do multiply :D

My understanding is that the green variety of the Kenya trees are a lot less quick to propagate themselves compared with the standard variety, but please anyone feel free to chime in if you have a different experience.
My green Kenya has given me 6 larger frags (about an inch or 2) and one very small one (frag) in about two to three months. (Since late September)
I have no experience with other varieties though so I don’t know If they grow quicker or slower.
(Only one frag truly dropped I mostly fragged the Kenya tree before anything drops.)

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding pipe organ to the list. Alveopora and Duncan also fit the aesthetic (i have a similar tank)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back