Opinions on Dosing Amino acids

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that if your going to dose anything for sps that this is what you want. Does anyone have some fact/expierence based opinions on them? I was looking at the brigtwell brand,

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't find a lot of facts because they don't really exist. Also, a lot of the experience based opinions come from people that have driven their nutrients so low that the addition of amino acids will help even if they do nothing other than get converted to dissolved organics. Tossing a little extra fish food in a tank would have a similar effect... Appropriatetly sized coral food would have an even better effect.

Some information based on peer reviewd studies...

Corals are capable of making their own amino acids, so supplementing them is absolutely not neccessary. Feed your fish, corals, tank, whatever and your corals will take care of the rest when it comes to amino acids.

It's unclear if corals are even capable of taking in and utilizing the amino acid supplemnts for aquarium use.

One thing to always keep in mind with supplement companies. They're not regulated in any way and can make outlandish claims without any real basis for those claims.

In short... Might amino acids supplements help corals, maybe. Are they needed, no. Are they a waste of money, most likely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't find a lot of facts because they don't really exist. Also, a lot of the experience based opinions come from people that have driven their nutrients so low that the addition of amino acids will help even if they do nothing other than get converted to dissolved organics. Tossing a little extra fish food in a tank would have a similar effect... Appropriatetly sized coral food would have an even better effect.

Some inbformation based on peer revied studies...

Corals are capable of making their own amino acids, so supplementing them is absolutely not neccessary. Feed your fish, corals, tank, whatever and your corals will take care of the rest when it comes to amino acids.

It's unclear if corals are even capable of taking in and untilizing the amino acid supplemnts for aquarium use.

One thing to always keep in mind with supplement companies. They're not regulated in any way and can make outlandish claims without any real basis for those claims.

In short... Might amino acids supplements help corals, maybe. Are they needed, no. Are they a waste of money, most likely.

Okay thank you I appreciate the legit response

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not so sure about some of the replies taht were posted, from most of the info I have seen, it seems that corals WILL benefit from the addition of AA's in the tank, There are 2 in particular that are supposed to work VERY well...Apparently the BEST one of the bunch is the AA supplement from Salifert

Here are 2 articles about different AA's with Salifert getting alot of praise as being VERY good for coral growth and color, as well as a new product from 2littlefishies called acropower
Saliferts AA
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/10/10/salifert-coralline-aminoacids/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/09/acropower-amino-acid/#more-63610

Last edited:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went in to a lfs that had nice colored corals. asked what they dosed and they told me salifert aminos so i bought a bottle. put it in for couple of days and got algae or cyano growth, dont remember since it was so long ago. chucked the bottle. I think its for ulns systems

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not so sure about some of the replies taht were posted, from most of the info I have seen, it seems that corals WILL benefit from the addition of AA's in the tank, There are 2 in particular that are supposed to work VERY well...Apparently the BEST one of the bunch is the AA supplement from Salifert

Here are 2 articles about different AA's with Salifert getting alot of praise as being VERY good for coral growth and color, as well as a new product from 2littlefishies called acropower
Saliferts AA
Salifert’s Coralline AminoAcids is a well-kept secret for encouraging stony coral growth

AcroPower is a new amino acid supplement to turbocharge stony coral growth

I've read this article as well and very curious about it...not sure how people here feel about Jake Adams but he seems convinced about Salifert's product. This was in the comments section written by him:

"I started using SCAA in August 2001. After ten years of using the stuff I can look at a tank and tell you whether or not someone else's SPS corals are getting some or not."

I would love to test this statement and I wonder what would make a experienced reefer say this without some serious evidence to back it up?

OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm alot of good info on here but unfortunately it's conflicting with eachother :/

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just basing it off of my own experiences with nothing to gain from you using it or buying it. thats all. try it and see for yourself if your tank responds well to the product.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just basing it off of my own experiences with nothing to gain from you using it or buying it. thats all. try it and see for yourself if your tank responds well to the product.

I'm actually more in doubt of the product than for it myself...wondering what makes him make that bold statement tho. I do use Salifert AA but can't "tell" that I'm using it...i think it may have more of an effect on bigger tanks with lotsa SPS tho or at least that's my guess. I'm pretty convinced in smaller tanks water changes are all that are necessary.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just say no to drugs...
in a healthy system no aminos acids are necessary.
coral can make the amino acids they need from the sugars they produce from photosynthesis...so can all autotrophs for that matter.
with nitrogen and phosphorus in the water they will be good as those are the only nutrients they need in any quantity that they dont get from photosynthesis. the only other one is possibly iodide, but that is normally present enough if keeping up on water changes

OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my phosphates low around .02 would this present more of a reason to add them? Or would most say water changes are enough

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to find out if AA are effective...

Who uses them?

When Route 66 Marine decided to use a certain brand of AA in their display and grow-out system that's significant.

Talk to people who make their income from selling and growing coral. The proper blend of AA make corals grow MORE and improve coloration in an otherwise nutrient poor environment.

But... as stated above, just try it. If you don't notice a difference, stop dosing.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read this article as well and very curious about it...not sure how people here feel about Jake Adams but he seems convinced about Salifert's product. This was in the comments section written by him:

"I started using SCAA in August 2001. After ten years of using the stuff I can look at a tank and tell you whether or not someone else's SPS corals are getting some or not."

I would love to test this statement and I wonder what would make a experienced reefer say this without some serious evidence to back it up?

Money! those two links are little more thn thinly veiled advertisements.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy way to find out if AA are effective...

Who uses them?

When Route 66 Marine decided to use a certain brand of AA in their display and grow-out system that's significant.

Talk to people who make their income from selling and growing coral. The proper blend of AA make corals grow MORE and improve coloration in an otherwise nutrient poor environment.

But... as stated above, just try it. If you don't notice a difference, stop dosing.

Will you refund my money if I don't notice a difference?

In an ULNS amino acids will do about what feeding corals appropriate foods will do, but without the pesky benefits of a lower cost and benefiting the coral in other ways ;)

Jon, do you have a single shred of scientific evidence that corals need amino acid supplementation? They can clearly thrive and have spectacular colors without amino acid use. Also, do you have any evidence that corals can even uptake the amino acid supplements used in aquaria and then in turn utilize those amino acids? Even if they can, why would it be necessary when they can synthesize their own with a little feeding.

Last edited:

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime it raised my po4 so quickly all my sps lost color !also never noticed the corals looking happy when I added it like when I added oyster feast

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one of the 20 major amino acids contains phosphate. So no low phosphate cannot be supplemented by dosing amino acids.
Kind of like alk cannont be added by raising calc if you want an analogy
nucleotides do however contain phosphate if interested in something that does...Im not saying to start dosing nucleotides though...lol
I keep my phosphates low around .02 would this present more of a reason to add them? Or would most say water changes are enough

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.5%

Back