Opinions on Dosing Amino acids

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some products are snake oil like aquavitro fuel. I saw no significant difference when using fuel. However I saw an improvment in coloration when I started dosing amino acids but I do have a unls tank. I have tried a several brands and there are only two I have any faith in. IKE is right that amino acids can be produced by the coral, but amino acids also exist in the water column in and around reef structures in the ocean. IKE is right no one has been able to prove beyond a doubt that corals have the ability to incorporate these into their structures from the water column only that they exist in the water column. I see a difference in a low nutrient system and find it less risky than feeding a bunch of food. just my .02

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was also interesting from the article. "Usually, animals show preferences and a higher affinity for the eight essential DFAAs (valine, leucine, isoleucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, histidine, methionine, lysine), since they are not capable of synthesizing these amino acids."

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This series of videos are very interesting. This one in particular

[video=youtube;UoarTvDNPXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoarTvDNPXA&feature=plcp[/video]

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you refund my money if I don't notice a difference?

In an ULNS amino acids will do about what feeding corals appropriate foods will do, but without the pesky benefits of a lower cost and benefiting the coral in other ways ;)

Jon, do you have a single shred of scientific evidence that corals need amino acid supplementation? They can clearly thrive and have spectacular colors without amino acid use. Also, do you have any evidence that corals can even uptake the amino acid supplements used in aquaria and then in turn utilize those amino acids? Even if they can, why would it be necessary when they can synthesize their own with a little feeding.

I'll do better than that... PM me your shipping address and I'll send you a bottle. Then you can report your findings, ok?

Of course a coral can thrive without supplementation. But it will do BETTER when properly cared for. And only SOME AA can be synthesized by the coral, btw...

Over the past 20 years, we've seen really bad products come to market that have made it difficult for quality products to be accepted. First and foremost I'm a hobbyist, always have been and I wouldn't even consider running a system without supplementing AA.

But keep in mind... all AA formulas are NOT the same. Some in the marketplace have an ineffective formulation. So ask around, look for the ones that are used by the advanced hobbyists and those who make an income off of selling fast growing and colorful corals.

Last edited:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was also interesting from the article. "Usually, animals show preferences and a higher affinity for the eight essential DFAAs (valine, leucine, isoleucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, histidine, methionine, lysine), since they are not capable of synthesizing these amino acids."
What makes you so sure coral cant synthesize the '8 essential' amino acids? They are essential for humans and many other heterotrophs, but dont jump to conclusions for autotrophs such as corals (autotroph through symbiosis of course)

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you so sure coral cant synthesize the '8 essential' amino acids? They are essential for humans and many other heterotrophs, but dont jump to conclusions for autotrophs such as corals (autotroph through symbiosis of course)

I didnt publish or participate in the experiment but this is an unbiased source not promoting any specific amino acid, product, or company simply testing the uptake of amino acids from the water column. Also heterotrophs require protein to synthesize the aa they need. They may rob some aa from the zooanthale but its not everything they need. Hard to get protein in a system that has a protein skimmer, and few people target feed sps corals though I am sure that it would fill the gap just as well as dosing amino acids. Remember corals are a heterotrough as well, would you argue that a coral doesnt need to eat?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aa is snake oil.

been used for years and no befores and afters short of nitrate increases.

your body requires glucosamine. doesnt mean you drink it.

unless your body doesnt take in aa and glucose.

google cyano and aa. thats what you get

Back