Opinions on LFS?

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by JoleenC, Jun 3, 2017.

1. JoleenC

JoleenC New Member

Hey, everyone. First of all, an introduction: I'm Joleen and I am dipping my toes back into the hobby after 10 years away. I had just started getting comfortable with my salt water tank when Hurricane Katrina and then Rita hit LA. Between that and a realistic look at military moves for the foreseeable future, I downgraded to a nanocube for a couple of years before packing it in.

We are permanently in TN now, and while I had not planned on starting again for a few years, I found a 150 gallon reef ready tank for a price I could not pass up. (Free! Good thing I know how to reseal it.)

The tank is still in the planning stages, obviously, as I research, research, research. The hobby has changed to much in the last decade! Deep sand beds are no longer a thing. LEDs are readily available as main lighting and not just DIY moon lights. Computers that control and test basically everything are available.

I'm still probably 3+ months away from water touching my tank for anything more than initial leak tests, but I can still start checking out the local stores.

What stores do you like, and why? Which stores do you avoid, and why? Best selection? Most helpful staff? Distance is not a factor for me, since I live far enough from everything that all the fish stores are at least 45 minutes away.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. sricorals

sricorals Active Member

Aquatic Critters - Very good selection, weekend extremely busy and lousy service, $$$$$
    Emerald Bay - Decent selection, excellent customer service, $$
    Ocean Side - Small but good selection, $$$
    Petco - Hit or Miss, $

3. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Good luck I buy mostly online now BRS joing their point club won't save you much but a little. I also quit for 10 years and things have changed a lot most are much better now

4. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

What city are you located in? 7 Seas in Hendersonville is nice and very helpful answering questions.

5. JoleenC

JoleenC New Member

Portland, TN. So, a bit of a hike to go to a fish store, but that's ok because it is a bit of a hike to do everything.