Opinions on marine pure?

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with marine pure biomedia? I’m thinking of trying it out, but I’m reading a lot of reviews that say it breaks down into dust pretty quickly. I’m also seeing comments that it may release aluminum into the system. Some are saying that the aluminum comes from an imitation product that is packaged very similarly. If that is true, how do I tell the difference?

So, is it worth a try? Are there alternatives that you prefer?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aluminum isn't an issue as long as you buy from a reputable place(BRS). The issue arrose when fleabay was putting out a similiar product packaged as the same, but came from cheap knockoffs.

I did use it at one time, it is very porous, and a great place to house pods and bacteria. Your research has led you to believe it's fragile and rightly so. In my sump in a matter of months, when I removed it, it crumbled into pieces.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like seachem matrix. Same type of idea, very porous and has tons of surface area. You should be able to find a 4 liter bucket for $35.

In my opinion it is much easier to use since you can easily add or remove the media. I bought some media bags and put 8 liters in my sump for my 200g. Even put some in a bucket with live rock to cure.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Marine Pure blocks in my sump and really like them. Will actually get a third (300 gal DT). It does a noticeable job at mitigating nitrate levels if rinsed on a monthly basis. Just be careful when handling them as they are easy to damage. They will not break apart on their own though! The smaller balls or plates would probably break apart more easily. I have had 1 block for about 4 years and the other for 2.5. Both are holding up just fine because I handle them carefully.

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Right now I’m using a combination of ceramic rings and live rock, but my nitrates hover around 20 ppm. I’d like to bring that down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back