Opinions on refugium/sump rebuild.....

  • Thread starter Thread starter 46gReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

46gReef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
741
Reaction score
36
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have somewhat of a dilemma, I currently have a 46g bowfront, mixed reef with a 10 gallon homemade sump/refugium(which probably only adds about 5 gallons extra total H20 volume to my system), I have about 65#'s of LR total as well.....my tank is well established (going on 2 years now) & knock on wood I have had & currently have, absolutely no issues at all.........I recently acquired a 20 gallon xtra high & was going to build a sump/fuge out of that with the same exact design as my current fuge(with a few minor mods) but am a little apprehensive to change anything at all because everything has been going so well......I'm worried that if I uproot my current fuge that I may mess everything up but on the other hand my tank is pretty fish heavy & I will be adding many more corals in the near future so I realize that increasing the total system volume would obviously be a good thing.....I think I am most likely going to do it but just wanted some opinions, I'm sure I'm being overly paranoid in regards to messing anything up but wouldn't mind someone telling me so!!
 
From everything I have read as long as you use some of the parts of the current system/sump you will retain all the good stuff (bacteria) and actually your effectiveness to clean or filter your current display.
your current sump/fuge has what a skimmer section and a rubble rock section. its hard to tell without more details.

If it makes you feel any better I am upgrading to a 120 gallon with a 50 gallon sump from a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

If I am making the jump you can too LOL (I am just increasing both the sump and tank :)
 
The entire thing is a fuge with the exception of the area for the return pump......I plan on keeping basically the same design....I started building last night so I'm hoping to get it up & running on Sunday.,......
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new