Opinions on Setups?

broskie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to start my first SW tank “Done FW for over 8years up to a custom 192 gallon with stingrays and other high maintenance fish†and I was wondering what would be the best setup to start with? I have listed out the 3 different setups I have looked at and there cost. From the setups listed below what would be your recommendation? I plan on keeping just a FOWLR first and once I feel I have the responsibility to take care of the tank and its requirements. I will expand into corals and eventually wanting to do a clam or two. I do appreciate anyone who has the time to leave there opinion and any other setups or equipment they think is better. I will be bargain shopping threw Craigslist for a few things if I can find it “live rock, sump, power heads ectâ€

Setups:

• Red Sea Max 130 $500 Craigslist
What you get:
- 34 gal reef-ready aquarium in black
- Matching stand in black
- All of the original equipment: lighting, skimmer, filtration, circulation pumps, heater, power panel, filter pads, unused filter media and unused carbon, hydrometer, and additional cooling fan (never used). You can also have as much live gravel as you like and what is left from the starter kit.
IMPROVEMENTS:

Lighting: This system comes from the factory with 110 watts of compact florescent light which is barely enough for only few species of coral. I added an additional 65 watt compact florescent light for a total of 175 watts or 6 watts/gallon, more than enough for any coral you can find and even enough to keep clams healthy. This extra light can be put on a separate timer and used to simulate dawn and dusk. This alone was about $175 and 5 hours of time.

Skimmer: The Red Sea Max comes from the factory with a rather large skimmer that does ok, but doesn’t skim as well as its size would suggest. I made some minor changes to the skimmer and now it works very well.
Flow Nozzle: I replaced the two factory nozzles with one directional split-nozzle so you can redirect flow exactly where you want and one rotating nozzle that acts as a wave-maker and creates random currents. Coral growth is simulated by erratic and changing currents.

Filtration: The system’s filtration works great right out of the box. I made some minor improvements to increase flow and reduce the frequency of the “bubbles†phenomenon that you may have read about in online blogs. It also makes cleaning the filter pad a little easier. Inside the cabinet there is a hole cut in the shelf to allow for hoses if you chose to use an additional filter, pump, or chiller if you think you’ll need one.
You also get 3 extra replacement bulbs, 2-55 bulbs for the original Red Sea lighting and a 65 watt bulb for the added lighting (which has a brand new bulb watt in it already) Worth about $100.

Setup 2. Bio Cube 29G $250 Brand new factory sealed with stand.

Setup 3. Oceanic Rimless 57 Gallon $300 brand new along with a $500 budget for other equipment. Custom built stand by me so this will not be include in the budget aka “what I want to spend to start off withâ€

Live stock has a different budget haha.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 2 R2R, tank choice would be users preference, some say bigger is better, I have a shallow reef I am running, but I love the cubes, good starter for a mixed reef system, the bigger you get , the more money you will sink into equipment and power bills. I come from years of fresh water two, and I know the bigger the tank, the easier it is to balance.

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

A lot really depends on what kind of fish you want to keep. One of the first things I learned with saltwater (after having done freshwater for 5 years), is that the fish are bigger and require more room (because they're aggressive or like to swim a lot, or both). That being said, of the 3 setups you listed, I'd go with the the third one, only because it's a great tank (Oceanic Rimless - gorgeous!), and it's the biggest of the three.

The Red Sea Max and the Bio Cubes are great tanks, but if you have the space for the 57, I'd go with that one.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger the better, but these are great beginners tanks....I love the MAX, they can or have skimmers. Helps keep tank clean.

Good luck and glad you made it here.

OP
OP
broskie

broskie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I appreciate the opinions. I have been looking for a while and think I am about to make the step and buy the 57G. Thanks for those who replied. I received the same answers from the other sites as well.

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ For #3 . Don't skimp on lighting if you are wanting to do clams and some corals depending on soft or hard. You can always find a deal on a skimmer and get you a good circulation pump.

OP
OP
broskie

broskie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well number 3 it is, I went out today and bought the 57 Gallon rimless. I am stoked to start and get things rolling slowly of course. My LFS guy is awesome to, he has a bunch of new live rock coming in and said he will let me come cherry pick it before it goes up for sale. So tomorrow I'm getting a stand and a sump put together and get things going.

ilovereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set up a quarentine first before you do anything, if you want to have a successfull FOWLR tank. Is easier to prevent than cure.

Lwflyrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my red sea. had it 3 years.
simple and easy, lights tend to get heated a bit fans have quit on me 2x but called red sea and they replaced them.
I also got my replacment bulbs from them (a lot cheaper than from my LFS)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back