Opinions on skimmate waste collectors?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to reduce the number of times I would need to pull the collection cup off the skimmer as I will have very little space between the top and the stand. Would a remote collector like the Davey Jones or Reef Octo be worthwhile or do they require a skimmer neck leaner as well?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly - it all depends on how frequently it needs to be emptied and how much of a PITA it is. What about just a drain hose to an external or separate reservoir for emptying?

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of like the idea of a shut off if it overflows but a simple tap and connect of a drain hose would save me from having to pull the collection cup more often.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a DIY one out of a gallon jug, and float switch hooked to a BOB.

My cup already has a drain hose, so I just rigged up a push fit screw in adapter to the top, and a vertical float valve. When the jug gets full, it shuts off my skimmer, and sends me an alert. I only take my cup off once a week during weekly maintenance.

20221206_115144.jpg

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a DIY one out of a gallon jug, and float switch hooked to a BOB.

My cup already has a drain hose, so I just rigged up a push fit screw in adapter to the top, and a vertical float valve. When the jug gets full, it shuts off my skimmer, and sends me an alert. I only take my cup off once a week during weekly maintenance.

20221206_115144.jpg
Thank you for sharing!
I rigged up a 1gal Rubbermaid container to Avast Skimmer Shutoff. It works OK but I had to drill a small vent hole cause the skimmate was flowing into the container as pressure built-up. Which isn't ideal since I am afraid it might overflow and leak out. I might try the float switch method.
I also have Avast Swabbie and haven't clean the skimmer neck in over 5 months. Skimming wet so empty the 1gal container every 3 weeks or so.

Attachments

• 20221015_104732.jpg
    20221015_104732.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 18

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did this as I didn't want to spend the money on these fancy containers. I just ordered 1 gallon job off Amazon, wired in a switch to turn off skimmer once it gets full and it's been amazing. Before, I was dumping the skimmate twice a week. Now, maybe once a month? I also got a neck cleaner and that's been godsend!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back