dry skimmate

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m trying to achieve a wet skim In my octo 110int, pretty basic skimmer but gets the job done, i’ve added a air line valve from the silicone tubing to the silencer and venturi however it’s hard to get those micro bubbles to break up before they hit the collection cup so i end up with a full cup of foam with a dry skim and i feel like it’s not exporting as much nutrients as it should, there is a lot of gunk and stuff but it doesn’t smell rank and have a black skimmate like most skimmers do. If anyone has the same skimmer help me out lol.

Attachments

• 5B2EAB62-6465-4B1C-BC81-C676D279E5D1.mp4
    8.9 MB

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m trying to achieve a wet skim In my octo 110int, pretty basic skimmer but gets the job done, i’ve added a air line valve from the silicone tubing to the silencer and venturi however it’s hard to get those micro bubbles to break up before they hit the collection cup so i end up with a full cup of foam with a dry skim and i feel like it’s not exporting as much nutrients as it should, there is a lot of gunk and stuff but it doesn’t smell rank and have a black skimmate like most skimmers do. If anyone has the same skimmer help me out lol.

Internal skimmers need to be in a certain depth of water, have you checked that?

Do you have the ability to adjust the output of the exiting water? If you can slow it down it will raise the water internally and give you wet skim. (maybe that red knob)

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the recommended water level for this skimmer is 5-7” but i could never get a good skim at those levels so i find that keeping it 8.5 is a sweet spot for it but should i try lowering it or raising it? i know its trial and error just since ive gotten the skimmer a couple months back seems like its hard to not tune it every so often.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean like the water flowing out of the skimmer? I can assume the gate valve controls that but could be wrong.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my skimmer...
I pinch off the air, adjust the water so it's about 2" from overflowing to the cup. Introduce the air. That is a good starting point. From there, adjust the gate valve to suit your needs. Closing the gate= wet skim; opening the gate= dry skim. Your basically raising and lowering the water internally in the skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back