Opinions on Wave pumps

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60g now and have x2 MP40s they are great since I dont have a canopy and dislike seeing cables in tank plus they provide ample water movement. Dec/Jan I am planning on upgrading this to a 6ft tank about 200ish gallons and due to its location I will be placing canopy so that got me thinking that although I would probably end up getting MP60s wanted to see about potentially just getting x2 4k Gyres since the cords can be hidden in canopy.

Tank will be SPS Dominant, I've never owned gyres but have heard great things about them except for clogging and cleaning it. So was looking for some opinions on a 6ft tank dimensions will be 72lx28wx24h.

As for lighting I currently have x2 xr30 G5Blues and was either thinking of adding x2 more xr30 or x3 xr15 with the two xr30s I already have.

Any input it appreciated.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Gyres on 2 of my tanks. One has 4 MP40 also. They are a bit of a pain to clean and do need to be cleaned more often. In one of my tanks I also have a lot of small snails which constantly get stuck in the Gyres and they start making a horrible clicking noise. I even had the inside the gyre break on one of them from snails clogging it up. I would be hesitant to use as my main flow but that is only because I don't like cleaning them all the time. The main thing I use them for is to keep the debris off of the bottom as both tanks are bare bottom and they seem to do a good job at that for extended periods between cleaning. The good on them is they move a lot of water without blasting a stream. Also I would not have put the small snails in the tank based on what I know now :)

Also note my tanks are "strange sizes" one is a 155 gal 1/4 cylinder and the other is 105 gal 1/2 cylinder so flow is always a bit more difficult.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer gyre type pumps due to superior type of flow.
It is nice and wide sheet which is more gentle than prop pumps. Prop pumps have a much higher smaller area of flow close to the pump and widens out and slows the farther away you get. The flow from the gyres just seem to cover more area and get into more corners. You could do a combo too for more varied flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer gyre type pumps due to superiors type of flow.
It is nice and wide sheet which is more gentle than prop pumps. Prop pumps have a much higher smaller area of flow close to the pump and widens out and slows the farther away you get. The flow from the gyres just seem to cover more area and get into more corners. You could do a combo too for more varied flow.

I was looking at the icecap 4k along with the hydros wave engine I have to see if there are any other better choices than the ice cap for gyres. I've read with wave engine can get some nice changes in flow

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking at the icecap 4k along with the hydros wave engine I have to see if there are any other better choices than the ice cap for gyres. I've read with wave engine can get some nice changes in flow

I have some IceCaps gyres the older style and I like them.. I run several Maxspect Gyres and IceCaps off Wave Engines. I have Two wave engines and I am thinking of a third. Below is one WE with the Control 4.

1603398502375.png

My 120 has two gyres and a Sea Swirl. I am thinking of a 3rd pump on the back too:
I do not have a picture of my IceCap. Tank is still going through its cycle and the rocks are still leaching.

1603398777132.png

I know RedSea launched some gyres too and I am guessing they are also made by Maxspect.

Last edited:

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two more mp-40 would be pretty solid option myself. And probably 4 total XR30 lights running longways front to back. I’ve actually got a gyre4k on one end of my 5’ 150 with two Neros on the back wall and it seems to be doing the job for my sps.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two more mp-40 would be pretty solid option myself. And probably 4 total XR30 lights running longways front to back. I’ve actually got a gyre4k on one end of my 5’ 150 with two Neros on the back wall and it seems to be doing the job for my sps.
That’s a good point I’m so used to running the mp40s on sides I forgot can place them in back wall too to have it all hidden. Wonder how well the swells work from the back.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some IceCaps gyres the older style and I like them.. I run several Maxspect Gyres and IceCaps off Wave Engines. I have Two wave engines and I am thinking of a third. Below is one WE with the Control 4.

1603398502375.png

My 120 has two gyres and a Sea Swirl. I am thinking of a 3rd pump on the back too:
I do not have a picture of my IceCap. Tank is still going through its cycle and the rocks are still leaching.

1603398777132.png

I know RedSea launched some gyres too and I am guessing they are also made by Maxspect.
That’s a nice looking setup. How are you liking the control4?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xf350? or something like that. I have never cleaned it and it is still humming since they were new to the market. I have not experienced the reliability issues that some have. It moves a lot of water, but I hate the flow... too linear. I do still use it for 8 hours a day, but I mostly rely on the tunze pumps for random flow that I like better.

When I still had lots of A. Carduus (thin, dragon type corals), they would lean with the flow of the gyre.

They do move a lot of water. I don't care at all about what pumps look like - grow the coral well and nobody will even think to look at what pumps are in your tank. Everything ends up covered in purple anyway and it all blends in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back