Opinions & Photos Wanted... Safe to mount controllers inside the stand?

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know water and electronics don't mix... but I also see a lot of people that mount their controllers, lights, etc inside their stand with open top sumps, ato, etc.

I have a large stand with a large sump (1/2 covered) and have been thinking about where I want to mount my Apex, pump, return etc controllers. I don't have space to mount behind the stand and I don't really want to mount them on the stand itself.. so my question is this:

Anyone have problems mounting their hardware/controllers inside the stand? I have a lot of holes in the back to vent but I am unsure how effective that is. I cannot see any visible moisture anywhere, however we all know salt creep gets everywhere. Thoughts?

I would love to see photos anyone would like to share of how/where they mounted their setups.

TIA!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always caution people never to mount equipment over or near an open sump.
If you have open space to the left or right of the sump thats where I would choose.
Secure it properly so nothing falls off and comes into contact within a water source.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a photo of my WIP on the media cabinet. I've had to put a bunch more junk in there (another EB4, Tunze, etc) so it's even more crowded. SOme people have spectacular spaces designed with no chords etc. I'm jealous of those, but this took me a ton of work because I have absolutely no organizational skills.

Anyway - It's a cabinet built into the stand. Separated from the water as much as possible. In the summer, if it becomes an issue, I'll install a fan.

XhxqZKC.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know water and electronics don't mix... but I also see a lot of people that mount their controllers, lights, etc inside their stand with open top sumps, ato, etc.

I have a large stand with a large sump (1/2 covered) and have been thinking about where I want to mount my Apex, pump, return etc controllers. I don't have space to mount behind the stand and I don't really want to mount them on the stand itself.. so my question is this:

Anyone have problems mounting their hardware/controllers inside the stand? I have a lot of holes in the back to vent but I am unsure how effective that is. I cannot see any visible moisture anywhere, however we all know salt creep gets everywhere. Thoughts?

I would love to see photos anyone would like to share of how/where they mounted their setups.

TIA!

Does your sump run the full length of the cabinet? If not, then simply put in a divider wall to "seal" off a section from the sump area. My Red Sea Reefer has a chiller section that is divided off from the sump area. I used this large open area to house all of my controllers, EB8, power strips, power supplies etc. Simply built a rack to hold everything and hinged it so I have access to all of the wiring behind it.

IMG_4008 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

This is the area behind the hinged panels. The panels are in three sections. The top one where the iPad resides is fixed. The middle panel is hinged to the top panel and folds up to a 90 degree position that can latch in place for easy access. The bottom panel is simply a filler panel to close it all off. It is just pressure fit and can easily be removed for even more accessibility to everything hiding behind there.

IMG_5282 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have about 12" left inside really was worried the most about humidity. Awesome photos ty!

'

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was mounted in the stand of my 210, near/above the sump. It ran this way for just under a year without an issue. I recently took down the tank (( moving/building a new house, will set it back up in a couple of years when we finish the basement )), and while packing up the equipment I did not notice any splash/salt marks. Should note that I was running an Herbie overflow and had no splashing/bubbles in my sump. When I reset-up the tank, I do plan on having a room behind it for the controller -- mainly for ease of access.

Some early pictures;

Under7_zps8f227ce0.jpg

Under6_zpse1113c98.jpg

Under4_zps26e8b920.jpg

Under3_zps8a79ebf5.jpg

Under2_zpscba8b53f.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does your sump run the full length of the cabinet? If not, then simply put in a divider wall to "seal" off a section from the sump area. My Red Sea Reefer has a chiller section that is divided off from the sump area. I used this large open area to house all of my controllers, EB8, power strips, power supplies etc. Simply built a rack to hold everything and hinged it so I have access to all of the wiring behind it.

IMG_4008 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

This is the area behind the hinged panels. The panels are in three sections. The top one where the iPad resides is fixed. The middle panel is hinged to the top panel and folds up to a 90 degree position that can latch in place for easy access. The bottom panel is simply a filler panel to close it all off. It is just pressure fit and can easily be removed for even more accessibility to everything hiding behind there.

IMG_5282 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

That's crazy good! Do you live close enough to Chattanooga TN for me to have you over? LOL!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy good! Do you live close enough to Chattanooga TN for me to have you over? LOL!

Hahaha, I live in Illinois... so about a 6 hour drive.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 20L sump? Im trying to decide what size sump for my 75 that leaves room for my controller. Yours is good inspiration!

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of nice setups guys very well done,i decided to setup mine at the top most of my system,unless the tanks explodes there is no way of water drips or splashes,still arranging the setup but for now happy all in all

2015-09-14 12.43.06.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back