Opinions/suggestions on sump design?

thefuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks. I've decided to explore putting a sump together in support of my new 250 gallon display.

The sump will be located remotely from the tank in my basement. I'm currently using a 100 gallon stock tank (pictured) but I believe this configuration will result in microbubbles and doesn't currently accommodate a good spot for a refugium nor easily dealing with filter socks. Sump dimensions will likely be 41x23x25H.

As shown in the photo, I have a Beananimal triple drain coming in on the right. The drain is plumbed via schedule 80 bulkhead inside the sump on the left side. The skimmer is external (Bubble King 250) and will rest on a platform across the top of the sump.

I put together a rough design using Sketchup. Center section will be used as a refugium with dark acrylic on both sides.

Can probably go tighter on triple drain side (2" pvc here).
Not sure if I need to go wider on the filter sock deck (7" socks).
Is the spacing wide enough on the baffles?
Should the return section be wider? Initial setup will drain into a Reeflo Hammerhead but maybe I should consider space for a separate return pump in the future (not sure if the quiet DC pumps will have enough head pressure)?

Comments/suggestions? Anyone recommend a place that might be able to craft this for me (I'll be trying MaxReef for starters ;) )? Thx!

sump-view-5.JPG sump2.png

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fwiw I'm using a deepwater aquatic dc8 to pump from my basement sump for about a year. It does a great job pumping through 1.5" pvc. Doesn't even need to be at full blast. I'll be buying these pumps for everything now and even run them to power multiple smaller accessories.

Also if your still looking, I have a 125g all glass tank that would make a great sump. Looking for $100. I just re siliconed it. $85 would go directly to the Lutz kids museum tank as it came from them. The other 15 is just to cover my silicone cost. I'm trying to work toward a apex controller for the Lutz.

OP
OP
T

thefuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the suggestion on the pump. That looks like a great one!

Also appreciate the offer on the tank. I'm going with a custom job from Advanced Acrylics who has done work for another reefer down here. Pretty excited to get that going - the design is very similar to my crude rendering above.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back