ORA And Species

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
5,614
Reaction score
80
Location
Spokane, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd start this thread for those of us who are interested in species identification. ORA has some outstanding corals available, and some with great and imaginative names. I just wish they'd list the species, when they know it. Sooo, I figured I'd start this thread, in the hopes of getting some species names to go with those great ORA titles.

I have several ORA corals, and am pretty sure I recently IDd one of my recent purchases.

ORA Red Planet. I believe this to be a tabling acropora hyacinthus.

Next??
 
I'll play along with a few of my guesses.

MI Fuzzy yellow/green-A. aculeus
MI Bottlebrush-A. tenuis
Phil's Granulosa-A. multiacuta
 
May I ask what the "MI" is all about? I haven't seen those on any ORA list. Also, I was under the impression that Phil's Granulosa was an Acropora granulosa.
 
The scientifics attached to a lot of ORA's are based on what the person they were named for thought they were, if I understand correctly, so they can be off the mark. I don't think the Hawkin's echinata is an echinata, either. That said, putting scientific names to the species level on many corals (esp SPS) is little more then a SWAG (scientific wild arsed guess)....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new