ORA SPS

tgb2915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had frags come direct from the ORA facility with pests? Just wondering if it is necessary to dip corals that come direct from ORA, or if I would just cause unnecessary stress by doing so.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know a hobbyist cannot buy from ORA directly. That said even if getting ORA direct, quarantine and a dip are ALWAYS considered best practice, have received corals from some highly reputable vendors that still have minor pests and unwanted hitchhikers.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure pests have come in from just about every vendor out there at some point. Really up to the buyer to take precautionary measures when adding new corals.

OP
OP
T

tgb2915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, this is how they were purchased, they shipped direct from ORA facility in Florida.

Ron Popeil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ORA corals that come from their florida facility are absolutely pest free, as they have some incredibly strict bio security protocols in place. if the corals come from their MIMF clam farm, i would suggest you dip them as theyre raised in water from the ocean. that being said, i would strongly suggest you habitually dip all corals from any vendor.

just be careful dipping the ORA Blue Hawkins, as that coral is particularly sensitive to medicated dips...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were one of the first places to get red bugs and Dustin was a pioneer in Interceptor treatment. I would always take every precaution that you can. If the corals came directly from ORA, they are likely very healthy and can handle a nice Bayer dip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back