Orange bacteria or algae on media bags?

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2019
Messages
87
Reaction score
36
Location
SF Bay Area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have 20 gallon AIO with a media caddy.
The media bags of carbon and GFO started growing this orange substance.
I replaced the media and it grew again.
Does anyone know what it is or have a guess?

10224BB2-FB33-4BCA-AA68-2C18CEE54846.jpeg
 
I have these two pictures too. I’m trying to get closer but haven’t connected my camera to my scope yet.

4345E626-00CC-469A-A333-DF5146CA6DC3.jpeg 1C00E36F-6254-4EBD-A64A-08ACFFAEDAF7.jpeg
 
That orange color to me suggests it's related to the GFO (Iron-related).
Iron bacteria grow that color, but I don't know if I would consider that an issue to be concerned about.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new