Orange Branching Psammocora obtusangula, or something else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
1,647
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up not too long ago. The guy at the LFS thought it was a monti setosa, but I was told on a forum it was a psammacora. I found this article which led me to belive it was a Psammacora obtusangula, but I'm really not sure: https://reefbuilders.com/2011/03/22/orange-psammocora/

8nCBz9M.jpg


nO3J7qH.jpg


tovTTGE.jpg
 
That, or stellata. They're pretty closely related.

Psammocora obtusangula
Psammocora stellata

Stellata is the typical branching one you see in the hobby; usually green but occasionally purple.
Thanks! I've personally never seen one in my area, or even heard of them for that matter. That, and the color and look of it, made me really want it.
 
So how rare is this coral? I can't seem to find any for sale but the green version, and even ORA it out of that.
 
It was NR (near threatened) in 2014 on the IUCN red list. It is labeled "rare". Coral bleaching and crown of thorn starfish where mostly to blame from what I gathered. What would be an idea of the value of something like this?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new