Orange Digitata

  • Thread starter Thread starter pdiehm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2014
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
586
Location
Delaware
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given an orange digitata frag a few weeks ago, and unbeknownst to me at the time, was battling dinoflagellates. 3 days of darkness appears to have cured that.

Anyhow, The digitata frag polyps stopped coming out, and the color started to fade from a deep orange to now a very pale orange.

It's my first SPS, and I know it's not doing well, what I don't know is why, and I did expect it to die off to be honest, but now I need to find out why it is dying.

These are my parameters at last test (last thursday).

Salinity: 35 ppt
Nitrate: 10ppm
PO4: .02
Alkalinity: 9.5
Calcium: 430
Magnesium: 1350
pH: 8.2

Tank: Coralife Biocube 29

For lighting, I have an AquaIllumination Prime, running at 100% 20k (B, DB, UV, V at 100%, G, R, W at 17%). My BTA appears to be doing very well and enjoying the light.

For Flow, I have a Jebao RW-4 running at speed 4, pulsing, a Koralia Nano 240, and the coralife return pump.

For placement, I placed it on the sand for a week, and then moved it half up the rocks, and eventually on the top of the rocks under the Prime light.

I think the flow and lighting are good enough...but then again, I don't know much about corals, and am very very close to just having 2 FOWLR tanks at this point.
 
e04d5942c2a7f37718e1554295575bb8.jpg
 
As far as I know, the montipora digitata are pretty hardy. My orange is the slowest growing of all my digi's however. I'd give it some time, and not move it. I think movement can be the enemy when it comes to any SPS, as they'll acclimate to a variety of conditions. Just have to let them. ;)
 
I'd say keep it in low to medium light and medium flow and give it time. They're pretty hardy usually.
 
If it's your first coral it would be a good idea to see if you have too much light.

Buy ($15) or borrow a lux meter to get an objective reading.

Medium light would be around 40,000 lux.

Anything from around 20,000 up should be perfectly acceptable. Around 80,000+ lux is "direct sunlight" and should be way more than needed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new