Orange Gorgonian help, not opening

gerardsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Space Coast Reef conference this past weekend, bought a orange gorg. it opened up first day and has been closed ever since. I have tried a couple of methods like soda bottle over it, did not work, its on the bottom off the sand and in high flow area.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it's photosynthetic or non-photosynthetic? My phtosynthetic one closes up for several days every couple of months. Not sure why it does this. On one occasion it closed up for a week and a bit of algae started to grow on the branches, it had to brush it off with my hand. A day or two later it opened up and looked great. I've had the coral for 4+ years now. If it's non-phytosynthetic you might have a really hard time keeping it alive, unless your dosing phyto or some other specialized food. The non-photos sometimes close up and just wither away, unfortunately.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Orange gorgonia would be non photosynthetic so they require food... Most likely the Atlantic Octocoral orange sea fan (swiftia exserta)? Is that correct?

It may just be closed for a few days to adjust. But they like a more shady area with moderate to strong current..

They need to be fed allot or they die. Cyclopeeze is a good food as well as baby brine shrimp. They really need to be in a NPS tank to do well.

There are other orange sea fans like Adelogorgia phyllosclera but they are all deeper water and just as hard or harder to keep.

Last edited:

Cris5215

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can so one help me I just bought this gorgonian coral 3 days ago and it has not open
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1377578298.743297.jpg
can someone tell me why?? Thank u

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back