Orange growth in new tank

saltlife26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB151CBD-2AC6-43F9-9D8A-1128B3CEF502.jpeg
hey all, I’ve been running this tank for a little over two weeks. Just noticed some orange stuff on the sand and live rock. Attached is a pic. Can someone let me know what I’m dealing with? Thanks

Weikel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the alage. Its problem diatoms everyone gets it when you start up. Once the diatoms consume your silicates it will disappear. Cuc love that stuff so snails help remove them .anyways dont worry about it its normal... when you read about new tanks going through the uglies this is the first step..

OP
OP
saltlife26

saltlife26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I called my LFS and he said they were diatoms as well. He suggested picking up some snails to help get rid of them. Anything else I need to be aware of or do?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I called my LFS and he said they were diatoms as well. He suggested picking up some snails to help get rid of them. Anything else I need to be aware of or do?
Just monitor your parameters (ammonia to nitrites to nitrates) in order to tell when your tank is cycled. Then, think about a clean up crew of some cerith, nerite, or astrea snails to help with the algae growths that are going to hit the tank. Keep your lights off during the cycle or else you will end up with a bunch of algae before it's safe to add snails.

OP
OP
saltlife26

saltlife26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02A0AB1D-3A30-4DFC-905A-A5AB788432E2.jpeg
Just saw this today on the live rock. What is this? As mentioned earlier my tank is about 3 weeks old. Are these diatoms as well? Thanks

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That image looks a lot like dinos, but they aren’t very common in new tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back