Orange spot pawn goby won’t pair with tiger pistol shrimp

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a goby a pistol shrimp pair from my lfs and I had them for 3 weeks now and i was wondering how long it’s going to take going to pair. when i first put them in together they went on separate sides of the tank, the goby is doing fine atm it’s eating and the pistol dug himself a burrow

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a goby a pistol shrimp pair from my lfs and I had them for 3 weeks now and i was wondering how long it’s going to take going to pair. when i first put them in together they went on separate sides of the tank, the goby is doing fine atm it’s eating and the pistol dug himself a burrow

Attachments

• IMG_6164.png
    IMG_6164.png
    623.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6163.jpeg
    IMG_6163.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 41

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it’s an “Alpheus” pistol shrimp they will pair at some point. I have an orange spotted goby and a tiger pistol. The tiger pistol used to be paired with a wheelers goby but after he jumped ship I got the orange spotted. They took a few days to find eachother, and even now the goby goes off on his own digging his own holes and bouncing around the tank. Yet he still does his watchman duties 80% of the time. Give them time to find eachother and in no time you’ll have such a fun pair to watch!

OP
OP
A

ajdinp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it’s an “Alpheus” pistol shrimp they will pair at some point. I have an orange spotted goby and a tiger pistol. The tiger pistol used to be paired with a wheelers goby but after he jumped ship I got the orange spotted. They took a few days to find eachother, and even now the goby goes off on his own digging his own holes and bouncing around the tank. Yet he still does his watchman duties 80% of the time. Give them time to find eachother and in no time you’ll have such a fun pair to watch!
Alright thank you for the advice I’ll ask my lfs if it’s that species hopefully they will know

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine paired quickly behind a rock where I could barely see them and now have disappeared altogether!

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you for the advice I’ll ask my lfs if it’s that species hopefully they will know
I have this same combo. At the moment waiting to see if my shrimp is to be seen after molting. I hope it was just his jacket i saw. They were inseparable from introduction.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine paired quickly behind a rock where I could barely see them and now have disappeared altogether!
Yep story of my life. Only hear the shrimp snapping and occasionally see a flash of yellow from my goby, wish I could pull them and put them in the nano to see them more but they seem very happy so I leave them alone

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep story of my life. Only hear the shrimp snapping and occasionally see a flash of yellow from my goby, wish I could pull them and put them in the nano to see them more but they seem very happy so I leave them alone
Mine started in the back out of sight but dug their way to the front. I upped the feeding at that time and thought about plugging the back of the rock with little rocks. Haven't done that tho.
The front is still the main entrance. I wonder if you can lift rocks to encourage this and then make the side of the rocj you want more favourable..

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started in the back out of sight but dug their way to the front. I upped the feeding at that time and thought about plugging the back of the rock with little rocks. Haven't done that tho.
The front is still the main entrance. I wonder if you can lift rocks to encourage this and then make the side of the rocj you want more favourable..
Yeah they just have worked so hard at the hole that I feel bad disturbing them! Might just get another pair for the nano and let those guys live in peace!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back