Orangesided Trigger

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sufflamen veres....one of the online stores is offering this fish. I’ve kept just about every Trigger there is, not this guy, don’t see them very often. Wondering if anyone here has kept it. The picture on the site is horrible, I’ve asked if they can send me a better pic.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sufflamen genus species for the most part aren't overly aggressive like a blueline, but this one will get to a foot in captivity. I knew one guy with one, it grew slowly and really wasn't a bad fish kept with other aggressive fish. They are cute as juvi's then go into an ugly phase before they look kind of nice again after 5 years or so being ugly. People don't usually keep them because they are mostly offered in the ugly phase. Here's a couple of better pics. Orangeside Triggerfish Pictures - images of Sufflamen verres (marinelifepics.com) Search orangeside triggerfish and you might find more info.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sufflamen genus species for the most part aren't overly aggressive like a blueline, but this one will get to a foot in captivity. I knew one guy with one, it grew slowly and really wasn't a bad fish kept with other aggressive fish. They are cute as juvi's then go into an ugly phase before they look kind of nice again after 5 years or so being ugly. People don't usually keep them because they are mostly offered in the ugly phase. Here's a couple of better pics. Orangeside Triggerfish Pictures - images of Sufflamen verres (marinelifepics.com) Search orangeside triggerfish and you might find more info.
Wet web media seems to insinuate there is a difference between male and female. The male picture they show is quite attractive, with the bright orange on the side, the female is very drab.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet web media seems to insinuate there is a difference between male and female. The male picture they show is quite attractive, with the bright orange on the side, the female is very drab.

That may be a difference as well, I think there is a stage between juvi and adult where you can't tell if they are male or female, and then maybe the male is the one that gets the orange on the side and the face that is similar in markings of the queen trigger, The ones I have seen have not been attractive. The guy I knew must have had a male, but it was pretty drab for quite a while until it was good size. This is a fish that I would have to do a wysiwyg,

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be a difference as well, I think there is a stage between juvi and adult where you can't tell if they are male or female, and then maybe the male is the one that gets the orange on the side and the face that is similar in markings of the queen trigger, The ones I have seen have not been attractive. The guy I knew must have had a male, but it was pretty drab for quite a while until it was good size. This is a fish that I would have to do a wysiwyg,
Yeah, I agree. I asked BlueZoo for a picture on Tuesday, they haven’t sent yet. I like the pics I’ve seen with the big orange patch on the side, but a lot of pics are very dull.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever kept one of these, same family as the queen, but is suppose to stay a bit smaller and not as nasty. I haven't, never wanted to pay the price.
LiveAquaria® - Balistes punctatus
I would love to see a little drop in price on this fish. Beautiful Trigger!! Years ago, I bought a Crosshatch pair, that’s the most I’ve spent on any fish.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they have 2 on the Den, and several West African Angels.....if one of the Triggers drops to $299 I’m grabbing them.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's 4 of them, 2 little guys under 3", 1 at 3.5", and 1 at 4.5". I love those west African angels also.
Well the small ones went on sale down to $329, so I nabbed the 2 3/4 inch one. Will be delivered Tuesday, so excited!!! Will be a showcase fish for years to come!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught those in the Sea of Cortez and they were about 2#s in size. They weren't very visually appealing to me along with that other trigger that lives there that also migrated during el niños to our SoCal waters which end up staying here on certain reefs. Will look for some old photos to post of those 2 we've caught in the Sea of Cortez when they are mature. Also while freediving there they would follow us in big packs and we would spear a fish and they would charge to us and we would watch as they frenzied feeding on the injured fish, that was really cool to watch.

OP
OP
Darth_Kirk

Darth_Kirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught those in the Sea of Cortez and they were about 2#s in size. They weren't very visually appealing to me along with that other trigger that lives there that also migrated during el niños to our SoCal waters which end up staying here on certain reefs. Will look for some old photos to post of those 2 we've caught in the Sea of Cortez when they are mature. Also while freediving there they would follow us in big packs and we would spear a fish and they would charge to us and we would watch as they frenzied feeding on the injured fish, that was really cool to watch.
Thanks...the BlueZoo guys finally responded and basically said the fish is very drab until it gets large. Ended up getting the Golden Heart Trigger on Tuesday, he’s already eating great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back