Orchid Dottyback has a parasite or infection?

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an orchid dotty back for a couple of years now and it recently began to have this white growth near the back of its dorsal fin. I have loaded a bunch of pictures for some help ( In one of the pictures it looks like the tail fin has it as well but this is a white reflection from the light or something.) None of my other fish have it. The orchid dottyback has had this for a couple of weeks and it seems to be getting worse. I also have a Cleaner Wrasse who for years has chased my fish around the tank and picked things off of them, but he doesn't seem to be going after this. Any help would be appreciated. I would hate to loose this fish. It is very reclusive so catching it and putting it in another tank for treatment would be very difficult.
20121125_152910.jpg

20121125_152909.jpg

20121125_152903.jpg

20121125_152827.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it might be lymphocystis. This is a viral infection. There is no cure, but it is not a death sentence. The best thing to do is ensure optimal water parameters, keep the fish well fed and the environment for the fish needs to be stress free. You can soak the food you feed the fish in selcon.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is a good place to get selcon? Do I just add it to my frozen food. For example I add 6 cubes of a variety of frozen foods to an old medicine container with ro water and garlic every week could I just add the selcon to that?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS should have the selcon. It is a liquid that is added to the food.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say that as of today she is back to normal :wink:. I did give the selcon as well as vit c, not sure if that's what did it, but it couldn't have hurt anything.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back