Orchid Dottyback

Thomas.flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently had 2 consecutive failed attempts at keeping Royal Grammas, So I am taking a break from trying to keep them and picked up an Orchid Dottyback. From what I read they are still hiders, but not nearly as bad as RGs, in addition to being a bit more territorial. Anyone else kept both these guys and have any pros and cons for each?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre not too shy but can be territorial. If you have adequate hiding provided- Should be fine. Note also that they are known to jump and slip into overflows of sump.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the Dottyback worked out? I really want to add one, but I've been worried about aggression. But there is a lot of rockwork for it, and my fish seem like they can hold their own.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My (albeit limited) experience with dottybacks is that they’re only really aggressive when another dottyback is concerned. I had an Orchid and Indigo that did eventually get along, after they worked out a timeshare arrangement for a particular cave that both wanted.

My advice is to stick with one - even in a large tank (mine was 160 gallons). I sadly lost both to velvet, but I do have a Black Neon dottyback now and he’s doing great with all the other fish.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid dottyback is more aggressive towards other fish, like my flasher wrasse, than I would like but it's currently in a 20 gallon frag tank with only a few places to hide. I had to move the flasher to another tank.

kryz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid dottyback is not aggressive at all. He does spend alot of time hiding, however he does venture out into the open a little bit each day, I think when he is hungry. I do have alot of smaller fish in my tank, and the dottyback was added near the end so, maybe that could be a factor into his timidity.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them in the past and found them to be good citizens given plenty of rockwork and space. The only aggression I ever saw was in defense of territory and it was never injury inflicting, mostly just for show to chase others off. I don't know what size tank you have but I'd personally avoid keeping them in less than 40gal or so with tankmates as they will want a a bit of their own space. Good luck!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two clowns, an orchid Dottyback and a firefish. The orchid is out and about all the time, super social. No aggression toward other fish. Hangs out with the clowns on occasion even. My firefish is the hider. Only see it during feedings.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a captive bred orchid dottyback for about a month or two now and no issues. Spends a good amount of time exploring the tank, gets along with the clownfish, banggai cardinals and yellow watchman goby fine.

Does like to spend a bit of time hiding in holes in the rocks but still out more than the goby is typically. Eats just about everything I offer it. Although if I didn’t already have the ywg I would have gone for one of the rwu captive bred royal grammas I’ve seen on divers den.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I will get one, but the only issue is that I have a 32.5 gallon (long). So not a massive tank, but I do have a lot of rock areas for it. I have 2 clowns, and a purple firefish. The firefish is out a lot. He is very well established, and has his territory so the other side of the tank is unused, and would be good for another fish.
I was also thinking of adding a Sixline wrasse (if I do not add a dottyback). But I have heard too many stories of them being aggressive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back