Orchid Dottybacks in pairs / groups

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it’s possible or safe to keep Orchid Dottybacks in pairs or groups. Do they naturally spawn in pairs or harems? Also is it true that the male often dies early because he exhausts his energy tending to all range eggs? I was thinking maybe a group of 3 (1M 2 F) but don’t want them to whittle down to one, so I wanna get the social structure right.
What about Sunrise Dottybacks and their social structure / aggression levels?
And how long do they usually live? Is 10+ years common?

(I recently got in touch with a guy in China- yep, China, who’s breeding both species in his own home)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have 3 ( captive bred ) Orchid Dottybacks in my 240.
The each have their own little spot they hid in on one end of the tank.
I don't see any aggression between them. Could happen when I'm not near the tank. When I am they are always out begging for food.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchids should be able to maintain a group. I'm not sure about the male exhausting himself.

Sunrises, on the other hand, are much more aggressive. They may not even for a stable pair.

You should be able to pick juveniles and have them figure out pairing, like clowns.

This is what I remember from Wittenrich's book.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it would be easier to establish a spawning pair. That being said I think a harem is possible and would be more interesting. A harem runs the risk that one of the females suddenly challenges and kills the male upsetting the social dynamics.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I’d love to find out more on whether they only spawn in pairs or both pairs and harems, but the scenario you mentioned definitely isn’t something I’m keen about lol.

Wonder if it’s the same for dwarf angels?

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it’s the same for dwarf angels?

I think it will always work that way if the species can change sex from female to male. The only thing keeping the females from transitioning is the pressure put on them by the male. If they feel like the male is weak or they are not getting enough attention they may transition.

It is also probably rare this happens if nothing changes in the aquarium. I could see it happening if the male becomes sick or the fish are moved from one aquarium to another. Large size discrepancies should also discourage any conflicts.

There was a thread in the macro forum where a hobbies had a large harem of royal grammas. They had the male disappear at some point and the largest female took his place.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positive. Racing stripe down the eye and all.
I'm becoming incresingly convinced that orchid dottybacks are naturally gregarious and social and need to be kept in pairs at a minimum. I've always kept mine in pairs, and they've never shown aggression to other fish.

Solitary dottybacks seem to be prone to skittishness and anxiety.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. This is not related to Dottybacks yeah but I’m really concerned as to whether it’s “safer” for dwarf angels to be kept in pairs or harems.
I don't think that dwarf angels should be kept in pairs unless they're mated, and that seems to be an involved process. They're intelligent, dominant fish, and forced pairings are much more likely to result in aggression and unhappiness than bonded harmony. I think you're much more likely to be successful mixing species of dwarf angels in a tank than you are with attempting a mated pair.

Dottybacks seem to work out their pair dynamics fairly easily. I've never attempted a harem, but might do it if I shift some fish around into different tanks. Dottybacks are gorgeous, and watching them pop up and around live rock in a group would be an amazing thing to see.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that dwarf angels should be kept in pairs unless they're mated, and that seems to be an involved process. They're intelligent, dominant fish, and forced pairings are much more likely to result in aggression and unhappiness than bonded harmony. I think you're much more likely to be successful mixing species of dwarf angels in a tank than you are with attempting a mated pair.

I disagree here, I believe fish should be kept in pairs where possible. Given a QT with a divider of some sort, the smallest individuals with an obvious size disparity, and some time, pairing dwarf angels should be straight forward.

Dottybacks seem to work out their pair dynamics fairly easily. I've never attempted a harem, but might do it if I shift some fish around into different tanks. Dottybacks are gorgeous, and watching them pop up and around live rock in a group would be an amazing thing to see.
Wittenrich's book has pages dedicated on how to keep dottyback pairs that are spawning regularly from killing each other. Orchids should not be considered the norm for dottybacks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back