Orchids

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
3,361
Reaction score
58
Location
TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd share a few pics of my orchids. I don't have many, and they're all quite easy varieties to care for. The ones I have are similar in care to african violets. These are the blooms the plants came with. I just started with them a few months ago so they haven't had time to re-bloom yet.

Phal007.jpg

Phalaenopsis Sogo Gotris 'Flora Ark'- a miniature variety

PhalFloraGigi003.jpg

Phalaenopsis Flora 'Gigi'- another miniature

orchids.jpg

Beallara Pacific Treasures 'Everything Nice'

paphiopedilum.jpg

Paphiopedilum (Paph. Onyx x Paph. Hsinying Citron)
 
Very nice, I love the Paphs myself - especially the ones with the more red/maroon look, rather than the all green. Just an FYI, the Paphs like to be wetter than the Phalaenopsis, especially when they are blooming.
 
I'm a Paph fan, too. I don't have even one at the moment, but would like to find one again. I had a few different types (some mottled, some not). I used to have around 60 orchids, but lost a lot of them when I moved (they were left at one of my wife's family members house and didn't get watered while sitting out in the heat of the sun...). Only about 20-30 now, but love them just the same. They can be addicting. Five years or so ago, Lowe's would discount all Orchids after they lost their blooms to $2-3. Now they just mark them in half, but I used to pick out the ones I wanted while in bloom, then wait for the blooms to fall off and negotiate a deal;). I've started buying some of the mini orchids lately (tiny Oncidiums, etc.).
 
I'm a big fan of minis and absolutely love Paphs. I also have an Ascocenda that isn't pictured here because it has yet to bloom. It's one of those orchids in a bag from Lowe's that was discounted down to 10 cents. Just needed a little water. There's one NOID Phal in my collection that was a gift from my mother-in-law too, so I have 6 orchids currently. I really only want 1 more orchid, a Neofinetia falcata. Not any of the hybridized ones, just a pure species of the wind orchid. Here's a full shot of my Paph:
Paph002.jpg
 
Orchids were my passion before my reef tank. Now they are pretty neglected... <guilt ridden>
 
LOL, same here!!! I used to have about 50 and I'm down to about 5 myself from neglect!

I had about 250 and I'm down to about 50 and the count is dropping quickly w/ the cold weather in FL (+ my laziness) :/
 
Mine all live indoors. I've contemplated bringing them outside when the weather is right, but I also have an african violet collection and don't want to potentially introduce any pests. Treating the 6 orchids wouldn't be too bad, but treating 25 or so violets could be really miserable so I think the orchids will stay indoors this summer.
 
HHHHHmmmmm . . . up to over 80 at this point, and the tank is the one that suffers from neglect :(
 
Everything around my house gets neglected... I would like to enter my hat in the ring of king procrastinator.

Since moving to Montgomery, I've found a spot outside that gets a small amount of morning sun, then is shaded all day. Works great, unless you go months without rain in 100 weather. Watering once a day wasn't quite enough. They stay out until we hit a low of 40.
 
Just noticed that the second bud on my Paph is starting to open. Yea! I can't wait to see it with two huge blooms.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new