Order of Operation With Reactors

  • Thread starter Thread starter AAZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 8, 2017
Messages
32
Reaction score
14
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new build on a112. I intend to run a carbon reactor. Will do gfo down the line as needed. Ill be doing bio pelletts and uv.

Would it be advisable to run the carbon and bio right out the gate? (I know to slowly work up bio)

Interested on the uv too. Ive seen it mentioned to wait on uv until full cycle and proper bacterial establishment. Others are indifferent.

General thoughts appreciated.
 
Why the biopellets? Not really needed for a reef tank with sufficient rock.

The nitrifying bacteria are primarily on the rock as a film so UV probably won’t have a huge negative impact, but it also doesn’t have much benefit. I would wait until done cycling, but I think you could argue either way.

Carbon could wait also. It won’t hurt anything to run out of the gate, but its just a waste of money IMO. You don’t really have anything to remove unless you are going the old fashioned “throw in a couple cocktail shrimp” cycling method…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new