Ordering Fish Online

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would like to purchase a Desjardini or Ref Sea Sailfin tang juvenile and likely it will need to be ordered online as most shops just have the standard sailfin. This will complete my fish for my 72 bow front and yes I realize he will need a bigger tank and I plan to buy a house in the next two years and building that dream tank 220+ tank will be integrated so I would never buy a fish I didn't plan to be able to house for its entire lifespan. (Recently had to pass on a baby Annularis Angel at my LFS and he was only $99 a usually $300 fish because I knew I wouldn't have room for a 1 foot fish that may eat my coral)
So on to the point of my post, I was planning to purchase from live aquaria but want to see where everyone stands on ordering livestock online as I have never done it. I know shipping will be pricey and I will wait until it warms up. If the post has a link and you need to DM me I would really appreciate it. Just want to know your experience and recommendations with online ordering of livestock! Thank you!

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live aquaria has a ton of good reviews. They also come with a 14 day live guarantee. But that's just what I heard.

Now-I know I may be stoned to death for this but I personally wanted to give online fish a try and ordered from petco.com. there is some merger that happened between the doctors that run la and petco so I don't know how much different it is. I think they come from the same wholesaler but I do know the fish from petco.com isn't from the brick and motar store tanks. The fish I ordered were in great health-I of course qt'd just in case. It was a valentini and a blue tang. The anenome I ordered struggled and eventually died. this was after 22 days from shipment and they refunded ke the whole price. They have a 30 day guarantee And it was incredibly easy. Just emailed them pics and then the money was in my account a few days later. Ymmv but I thought I would share my personal experience.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can have them order them to the store and you can pick them up from the bag so they don't see petcos tanks. My biggest issue with Petco isn't the condition of the fish but the fact that we are supporting the death of the LFS. I'm not saying I don't shop there. Sometimes I see a fish I want and I know if I QT it and treat it, it at least stands a chance of a good life. But I am thinking live aquaria.

Do you know if they leave them outside or can you make it so you have to sign for it? I mean they have to get shipped to the LFS so your really just eliminating a step and less steps for the fish = less stress and less stress = happy tank and happy tank = happy me!

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid for Saturday delivery. And I still wasn't able to catch the guy. I left a note on the door saying to leave it though as I knew it would happen. Otherwise it would have been brought back and not tried again until the following Saturday! if I hadn't left the note I don't think the ups guy could have left it though. I had to do the same thing with reefcleaners. I also have a climate controlled foyer in my apt so it is a non issue for the fish to chill out in front of my door for a few hours. You can also have them ship it to the local ups/FedEx store and you can pick it up. Probably can even catch it at Bradley Depending on the carrier.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco owns Dr. Fosters. As. Of February of this year :) with that said lfs kill themselves... Where I live one of the petcos has a great aquatics guy and is one of the nicest few places around for fish and info. Not to mention they donate 1% of all sales into saving our natural reefs and carry the largest selection of captive bred fish from ora, sustainable aquatics, quality marine around. Unfortunately I have 3 petcos within 15 min of me.. And you couldn't pay me to shop at 2 of them lol.. I judge a store by the experience of the help and there are very few around that offer the experience level I respect enough to give my money to

Corvingtonm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if im too late on this, but Exotic Fish and Corals in milford gets them. I special ordered mine, very good price. Talk to Bob or Justin. Here's my stunner, now much bigger than I got him, but they will get them in
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW he is amazing. What was the price on him if you don't mind asking? I will probably get a juvenile as I enjoy watching them grow and change.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria charges tax now & $35 for shipping if your order is under $225. I do mostly buy from them but only if I surpass the $225 mark. Blue Zoo Aquatics is also good, their free shipping mark is $140 and no out of state tax charges yet.
One place I do frequent for lesser valued order that do not qualify for any of the above free shipping is NY Aquatics. He's in Yonkers so his shipping charge is closer to $20 and I just looked at his website and he has 2~3" Desjardini for $50.

Corvingtonm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I can't remember off the top of my head, but Ill never pay more than $60 for a fish, and it better be a heck of a fish lol. They also take CTARS discounts :) I got him just as he was changing. I prefer buying local (even though milford is 45 minutes), just because I know the systems, their treatment to their stock, and I can watch the fish eating and how it acts in store before bringing home. I don't order online.. IF I can't see the system, I don't order.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in westerly so Milford would be one heck of a haul. Once the new store opens in Old Saybrook I will get all my livestock there. The 14 day guarantee is unheard of even from most LFS on saltwater.

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to exotic. They were awesome in helping set up my tank and their prices are very fair. Couple that with the great advice I don't mind paying a little extra when I need something.

Out of curiosity, why were you looking to order online? I do it for the price (when it's a larger order to save on shipping) and the stay alive guarantee. Most shops can special order you anything you want.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant beat LA's guarantee. They guarantee their aquacultured corals for 30 days! That said I've always been a big supporter of them and bluezoo as well.

My last couple experiences since LA/petco merger have been negative. They sent only one out of 5 fish and thought they sent them all. after a week of trying to figure out what happened, they refunded me for the 4 that never showed up. I originally thought maybe the other 4 would come in a separate box, but that never happened. There was no packing slip so no way for me to know what happened.

Even the drs dry goods site is messed up. look what I got today... notice what the slip says v. what I actually received. I don't even know what anyone would do with this?! lol I've contacted them and they are already re sending the order but I don't understand it to begin with.

20150326_142518_zps3e518bf0.jpg

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nearest LFS is about 40 minutes and 14 day guarantee is a really good guarantee especially on a tang.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the management at LA has been left untouched? I'll never understand when companies acquire another company with a business model that works, why would you change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never purchase anything on line as livestock. So I have a question. Is it safe or have others had a nightmare of an experience in the past? My brother has purchased coral and clean up crew but not any fish. So any info is appreciated.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost exclusively buy online since there is no good lfs anywhere near me. Blake's is the closest at almost 45 min away. I try to support my lfs as much as possible but it's usually easier to find what I want online, and usually cheaper as well even including shipping. Not too mention the guarantees offered from online companies like mentioned above. Can't go wrong imo never had any issue with collecting credit on any problem orders. Don't drop acclimate online purchases, just make sure your water matches what they send you as far as specific gravity. Then just temperature acclimate. That's where having a qt makes it easy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back