Ordering Online When It's Cold Out?

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to order some coral pieces, but it's going to be a high of like 15 degrees for the next....month.
I'm looking at just easy mode stuff like mushrooms and zoas, nothing delicate.

Is it worth the chance or should I just keep holding off until the temps ease up?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s extreme lows man are you in North Dakota or something haha I used to live there. My first thought here would be to make sure your going threw a well established vendor that has ample experience shipping corals. I recently got an order from Denver from a small private vendor and the corals were delivered when it was around 50 degrees during the high. can’t remember the low but the water in the bags dropped from 78 degrees to 70. any more and I could have lost them. I talked to the supplier and he apologized that he made the mistake of not adding enough heat packets and his reasoning was that he didn’t want to accidentally cook the livestock. My second thought would be to call your coral supplier and ask directly. Even the big shops take time to answer customer questions. Try to find out if they have experience shipping in those temps

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm looking at the big vendors, not small private sales from the classified or something.
I'm in Indiana, it's a bit chilly for awhile. The jet stream pushes straight down over us during this time of the year so we get all the canada cold for a few weeks.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so your not to far from some of biggest well known vendors. Will you update this thread with they’re response? I’m curious now because they won’t be shipping out of weather that cold but they will need the heat packs going when they get there

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually don't buy corals or fish online during the winter. Not only do you have to worry about the weather in your area, and the shippers area, but also the shipping hubs, where USP and FedEx route packages through.

curtisbenm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that good vendors won't ship if they aren't sure it will survive. I'm in Indiana as well. It's worth waiting till the vendor is comfortable.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back