Organic carbon and feed

AlienReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My NDOC results have shown a high level of organic carbon which has caused STN problems in my acros. I stopped adding ReefRoids and Aminos and the problem was resolved. Currently I do not dose anything. I wanted to know if PNS PROBIO AND WELLO PNS can cause problems with organic carbon. @Kenneth Wingerter Could you help me with this? Yesterday I received my bottles of PNS and YELLO PNS

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My NDOC results have shown a high level of organic carbon which has caused STN problems in my acros. I stopped adding ReefRoids and Aminos and the problem was resolved. Currently I do not dose anything. I wanted to know if PNS PROBIO AND WELLO PNS can cause problems with organic carbon. @Kenneth Wingerter Could you help me with this? Yesterday I received my bottles of PNS and YELLO PNS
PNS YelloSno is a prepared food, and therefore (like all foods) can add a small amount of DOC. But at the recommended dosage, that is an almost negligable contribution to your DOC. This product is rich in B vitamins and trace elements, and likely promotes the growth of bacteria that ultimately may take up far more organics than what is added in the coral food itself (we've heard many anecdotes from users who report this very thing).

PNS ProBio, as a culture of live heterotrophs, will most likely reduce your DOC load, in addition to degrading tough POC such as cellulose-rich detritus.

OP
OP
AlienReef

AlienReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kenneth! Probably these bacteria help control my DOC level. Can these bacteria be cultivated? I really thought that my bottles were not going to reach me, in my country there are no supplies or stores for sailors, so it is really difficult to obtain them. I was lucky, customs did not hold it for me. But I'd like to try cultivating them since I doubt I'll be able to enter again. Greetings!

OP
OP
AlienReef

AlienReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To feed my acroporas, how do you recommend adding PNS PROBIO and WELLO PNS? Once a week? every day? during the day or night? Thanks for the information Kenneth is very helpful to me, as I said in the previous comment, in my country there are no reef stores with which to find information or obtain products. I have to bring everything from abroad.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kenneth! Probably these bacteria help control my DOC level. Can these bacteria be cultivated? I really thought that my bottles were not going to reach me, in my country there are no supplies or stores for sailors, so it is really difficult to obtain them. I was lucky, customs did not hold it for me. But I'd like to try cultivating them since I doubt I'll be able to enter again. Greetings!
I'd start by saying that there are other factors such as temp, lighting, shaking, etc. that play a role in how dense the culture can become and how long it remains stable. But yes, they may be grown on many different types of growth media, as these bacteria are extremely adaptable (they're often referred to as the most metabolically versatile organisms on Earth). Many of the general-use media for cultivating marine heterotrophs work for these bacteria (Marine Broth 2216, etc.).

That being said, those lab formulae are not necessarily designed to grow cultures for use in aquaria. They're designed to easily and reliably grow relatively small volumes of culture in a lab setting. This matters for one small reason and one big reason. The small reason is that there is no consideration for odor; if you think ProBio smells bad, you should get a whiff of something grown on a medium containing yeast extract. And those 'death' odors do not dissipate from the aquarium water quickly. The big reason is that these published lab formulae are designed for growing high densities of cells without regard for the kinds/amounts of byproducts left over; many of these byproducts will impact water quality and coral health. If I may pat myself on the back here, ProBio was designed not only to produce minimal odor but also (and most importantly) to be free of potentially harmful residuals, including but not limited to ammonia, nitrate, phosphate and sulfides. It took over a year of full-time testing and over 70 recipes to arrive at our current formula. My point is this; whether you purchase a commercial growth medium or mix one of your own based on something from a published paper, test the finished (grown out) culture before applying it to valuable or sensitive specimens.

I hope that helps, best of luck!

OP
OP
AlienReef

AlienReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start by saying that there are other factors such as temp, lighting, shaking, etc. that play a role in how dense the culture can become and how long it remains stable. But yes, they may be grown on many different types of growth media, as these bacteria are extremely adaptable (they're often referred to as the most metabolically versatile organisms on Earth). Many of the general-use media for cultivating marine heterotrophs work for these bacteria (Marine Broth 2216, etc.).

Dicho esto, esas fórmulas de laboratorio no están necesariamente diseñadas para cultivar cultivos para su uso en acuarios. Están diseñados para cultivar de forma fácil y fiable volúmenes de cultivo relativamente pequeños en un entorno de laboratorio. Esto es importante por una pequeña razón y una gran razón. La pequeña razón es que no se tiene en cuenta el olor; si crees que ProBio huele mal, deberías oler algo cultivado en un medio que contiene extracto de levadura. Y esos olores de 'muerte' no se disipan rápidamente del agua del acuario. la gran razones que estas fórmulas de laboratorio publicadas están diseñadas para cultivar altas densidades de células sin tener en cuenta los tipos/cantidades de subproductos sobrantes; muchos de estos subproductos afectarán la calidad del agua y la salud de los corales. Si se me permite darme una palmadita en la espalda aquí, ProBio fue diseñado no solo para producir un olor mínimo sino también (y lo más importante) para estar libre de residuos potencialmente dañinos, incluidos, entre otros, amoníaco, nitrato, fosfato y sulfuros. Tomó más de un año de pruebas a tiempo completo y más de 70 recetas para llegar a nuestra fórmula actual. Mi punto es este; ya sea que compre un medio de crecimiento comercial o mezcle uno propio basado en algo de un artículo publicado, pruebe el cultivo terminado (crecido) antes de aplicarlo a especímenes valiosos o sensibles.

Espero haberte ayudado, ¡mucha suerte!
Thank you very much Kenneth, you have been very helpful! How often do you recommend adding these two? my main use would be to feed my acroporas.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Kenneth, you have been very helpful! How often do you recommend adding these two? my main use would be to feed my acroporas.
You can use products at full dose once daily. But many users report great results alternating a full dose daily between the two products (in other words, using each product every other day on an alternating basis--so, ProBio Monday, YelloSno Tuesday, ProBio Wednesday, etc.).

You of course can increase or decrease that dosage incrementally based on the rate of uptake in your particular system. I would caution against wildly huge doses of YelloSno, especially without prior trials. But ProBio is virtually impossible to overdose and so can be used at very high dosages without concern.

OP
OP
AlienReef

AlienReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puede usar los productos en dosis completa una vez al día. Pero muchos usuarios informan excelentes resultados al alternar una dosis completa diaria entre los dos productos (en otras palabras, usar cada producto cada dos días de forma alterna, por ejemplo, ProBio Monday, YelloSno Tuesday, ProBio Wednesday, etc.).

Por supuesto, puede aumentar o disminuir esa dosis gradualmente según la tasa de absorción en su sistema particular. Yo advertiría contra las dosis tremendamente grandes de YelloSno, especialmente sin pruebas previas. Pero ProBio es virtualmente imposible de sufrir una sobredosis y, por lo tanto, puede usarse en dosis muy altas sin preocupación.

Excellent, thank you Kenneth!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back