Origin of the Sunny D's Rainbow polyp?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, based on some recent discussion, I have a question for you all; What is the origin of the Sunny D's Rainbow polyp?

My understanding, perhaps incorrect, is that Mike (aka. flricordia) was the original namer of these, although I don't believe that he ever "officially" named them on ZoaID. In my understanding, the polyps that Mike sold as Sunny D's where the original rainbow polyp that was aquired for the growout over on SWF; if that is true, the Sunny Ds are in fact Vivid's Rainbows - I know, cause I was one of the original people who set up that original growout over on SWF. If anybody knows differently, i.e. knows that Mike go the Sunny D's from somewhere else, or knows that someone else is the originator or initial grower of these, I would like to know. Thanks

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend Paul/Dflad got them from Vivid years ago before they ever had a name and called them sunny D's. That name caught on and Vivid named theirs Vivid rainbows. Now there's a dispute whether they're the same thing...

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend Paul/Dflad got them from Vivid years ago before they ever had a name and called them sunny D's. That name caught on and Vivid named theirs Vivid rainbows. Now there's a dispute whether they're the same thing...

Thanks Ian, sounds similar to my thinking; same polyp different name - perhaps some morphing of individual polyps because of lighting - hence the debate/dispute about whether they are the same or not.

dirt-nasty-510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the difference between the two is a white speckle skirt?

Vivids do not have the white speckle skirt and Sunny D's do.

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure where they came from and they could possibly be a morph from the Vivid Rainbows but they are deffinitly different by looks. Everyone thinks they look the same but they look nothing a like, look at this pic and tell me if they look similar.
DSC03614.jpg

sunny ds at the top, Vivid Rainbows right under them and there is the Raptors Rainbows at the bottom.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I would argue that the color pattern is the same; perhaps a little different hue to the colors, which again I think goes back to a lighting morph. As far as the speckles, that for sure is caused by lighting. Everyone who as has talked about the origin, both in this thread and the other one, comes back to the same thing. Sunny D's are or at least were originally the same paly that is sold by Vivid as rainbows.

dfladermaus

Mad Scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ian. You got it totally right. At the time I bought them vivid was selling them for vey cheap. Before the craze. I think I paid 30$ for like 15 or so polyps. I grew them out and started trading/selling them. But I thought vivid's name was confusing so I called them sunny delights. Pretty boring story but that is how it goes. For the longest time vivid was selling nightmares as darth mails too. Sometimes the names are just jumbled up by people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both just like in the picture above and no matter what lighting i have them under they look very different they do have somewhat of the same colors but they look very different. I actually like the sunny Ds patterns more then the vivid Rainbows, it seems no matter how many times you show ppl they are different by looks, everyone will always say they are the same lol

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yah my Vivid Rainbows from flricordea definitely do NOT have speckled skirts. They are a different polyp as you can see from reefingpasadena's photo.

Dang. Now I have to get me some Sunny D's....

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what appears to be the Sunny-D's morph that reefingpasadena (you need a shorter handle ;D ) has as well as the vivid's rainbows. I acquired them from two different sources under the two different names. Regardless of lineage, for whatever reason, they continue to show seperate coloration characteristics, just like reefing's pic. I would say the sunny-d's line is more of a yellow-orange versus a more true orange or burnt orange of the vivid's line. Both are nice though and subtly different; I didn't even notice it right away, until I moved the colonies right next to each other.

Reefinginpasadena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha ya sorry for the long name :p either way they are some of the nicer palys out there and i really like the Sunny D's they have to be one of my top favorite palys out there!

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sunny D's are a morph of the original Vivid Rainbows, and the application of the name to a later group of these polyps has probably confused the issue. Hence why some people are referencing the current Vivid Rainbows as Sunny D's, and others are saying that they are different polyps. At least that explains some of the confusion :baffle:

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny-D, if you look harder in the pic, you could see the sparkle. Just a blurry pic which is why many people dont see the sparkle in the pic.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always under the impression that they came from Vivids and then just got renames to try to make a little money.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread just helped me I'd the same question do I have sunny d or vivid rainbows lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back