ORP sensor levels

MugiwaraGrape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recent set up an Apex Pro on my university tank and we set up the ORP probe today. I read ranges should be between 300 and 400, but we are currently reading around 150…. I’m new to this sensor so is there something I am missing or? Tank is a 180gal mixed reef. Thanks for reading!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would incriminate probe issues, but if there is a sudden increase in organic matter, like due to dosing or some inhabitant died, it would also read low.
I am not sure if dead matter would cause such an drastic drop, so I would check probe first. Suggest going on Apex website and searching their forum.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Recent set up an Apex Pro on my university tank and we set up the ORP probe today. I read ranges should be between 300 and 400, but we are currently reading around 150…. I’m new to this sensor so is there something I am missing or? Tank is a 180gal mixed reef. Thanks for reading!
I recall reading it may take a few days or a week for the probe to settle in and start reading accurately. I just put one in my apex also.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here it is

Your ORP probe will immediately begin to show readings, but your probe will require a break in time of at least a few days (and up to 2 weeks) before the reading is accurate. You will know your probe is accurately reflecting the ORP of your aquarium when the reading starts rising and falling opposite your pH.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is

Your ORP probe will immediately begin to show readings, but your probe will require a break in time of at least a few days (and up to 2 weeks) before the reading is accurate. You will know your probe is accurately reflecting the ORP of your aquarium when the reading starts rising and falling opposite your pH.
This exactly

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-400 is good range I was always about 250-280 till I started to clean more and also spread out my carbon dosing thru out the day and stopped dosing redsea ab+

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was carbon dosing 5ml of Elimi np at same time to find 75-100orp drop each day. Soon as I spread it out with a dos thru the day now I do not see any drop from it. Same with ab plus but after not seeing any benifits stopped it all together

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

ORP is among the most misunderstood parameters we are exposed to, and discussions are loaded with misinformation (IMO) about what ORP means and what it should be. Do not be concerned that it doesn't match an overly simplistic idea of what ORP should or should not be.

I discuss it in great detail here:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP is among the most misunderstood parameters we are exposed to, and discussions are loaded with misinformation (IMO) about what ORP means and what it should be. Do not be concerned that it doesn't match an overly simplistic idea of what ORP should or should not be.

I discuss it in great detail here:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com
I just wanted to say I’m sure you are completely right, but there is no doubt there is a connection between a cleaner tank, having higher orp and a dirtyer tank having lower orp because I verified that myself. If I let my tank alone for a while, not cleaning the algae or filter, socks or emptying the skimmer cup orp starts to trend down as soon as I give it a good cleaning it starts to trend up. Sometimes I use orp as a guide of how lazy I have been lately with cleaning and maintenance.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I really wish someone would re write that article for dummies like me :) I think I’ve tried reading it 5-6x after seeing you post it up and still don’t understand so can’t take much from it even tho I want to…..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say I’m sure you are completely right, but there is no doubt there is a connection between a cleaner tank, having higher orp and a dirtyer tank having lower orp because I verified that myself. If I let my tank alone for a while, not cleaning the algae or filter, socks or emptying the skimmer cup orp starts to trend down as soon as I give it a good cleaning it starts to trend up. Sometimes I use orp as a guide of how lazy I have been lately with cleaning and maintenance.

Yes, a very loose connection.

There are all sorts of things that raise or lower ORP and have nothing to do with "cleanliness".

In fact, water changes generally lower ORP, even though the water may have zero organics in it, and that is because salt mixes contain low ORP forms of trace elements such as iron. The water change cleaned the water and lowered the ORP.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have spent some time recently on the ORP probe with my Apex. I hooked up a Poseidon and use the ORP as my gauge. My tank is >4 years old and the probe is about as old as that. I had no clue where my probe was calibration wise, I also read that we do not calibrate these probes, you basically would buy a new one. However, there is a good BRS video about this topic. It saved me from buying one. What does this have to do with your brand new one? I don’t trust any calibration out of the box, I want to always test it against a known sample to ensure I’m not out in left field picking flowers when a deep ball hitter gets up. Their advice was to test it against a sample and if you are within a certain percentage, then no replacement is really needed. And, you can then apply that delta to your readings going forward. For me, my probe reads 10% below the standard solution, I simply factor that in.

Personally, if it were not for the fact I am running Ozone, I wouldn’t put much stock in my ORP, I might watch a trend, like why did I dip 125 points (what do they call a ORP value?) today? But like my salinity gauge, it’s more noise and perhaps maybe looked at more for a trend, or that point it moves as a pose to where it actually is. But, I’m a novice that likes to research and YMMV.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back