Orphec Atlantic/icon Owners Questions

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to come across 2 orphec atlantic v4s and 2 4 ft or3 light bars. I'm currently thinking of how I want to mount my lights. I want to do something (personally)different so no canopy. I'm going to hang somehow and showcase the rimless tank. Been looking at pictures of different options.

1st question: How bad is the light to your eye with nothing to block it? The tank is going in my living room right across some couches. I'm concerned when sitting on the couches the light will bother our eyes. I may need to build some sort of floating canopy or come up with other solution.

2nd question: Do you use a diffuser on your orphecs or feel you need one? I've seen some different ways and and am curious.

Thanks for your input.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Light spread is focused enough on the individual LEDs that it’s not distracting outside of the overall blue cast in the room, even when the lights are well above your eye line.

The light array across all the LEDS is dense enough that a diffuser wouldn’t really benefit you, the light blends quite evenly in-tank.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 icons and 2 OR3 light bars on a 4x2x2 foot tank and used the Orphek mounting brackets to tie them all together. It’s an awesome combination and my sps have never been happier. My tank is built into the wall so can’t comment on ambient room spread but no need for a diffuser for tank coverage. Check with @Hydrored…his lights were open to the room. He is the one who convinced me to buy these lights and I have been very happy with them. He doesn’t have them anymore but he’s had just about every light on the market and is great at answering questions about them.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main display aquarium is right in the living room with TV and coaches and I have no issues from light spread. I have ICON"s and OR3 light bars. As others stated above. You will always have the light glow from lights no matter what you go with but I have zero light spread around the aquarium. The floor is dark and the tank is super luminated. I use aluminum rails for my mounting. Very sleek and contemporary.

I thought about putty an angled deflector so I dont have to see lights when sitting down when looking up, but have never done it.

OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light spread is focused enough on the individual LEDs that it’s not distracting outside of the overall blue cast in the room, even when the lights are well above your eye line.

The light array across all the LEDS is dense enough that a diffuser wouldn’t really benefit you, the light blends quite evenly in-tank.
Nice, I've seen some people say some of the bars for example have blending issues. But I believe that was the freshwater version so was curious.
I have 2 icons and 2 OR3 light bars on a 4x2x2 foot tank and used the Orphek mounting brackets to tie them all together. It’s an awesome combination and my sps have never been happier. My tank is built into the wall so can’t comment on ambient room spread but no need for a diffuser for tank coverage. Check with @Hydrored…his lights were open to the room. He is the one who convinced me to buy these lights and I have been very happy with them. He doesn’t have them anymore but he’s had just about every light on the market and is great at answering questions about them.
Same setup but with the atlantic v4s g1. It looks super clean tied together with the flat mounting bracket. I honestly prefer that look. My tank is also similar specs at 4x2x20 (IM 100ext). In the future I plan to upgrade to icon led and operating system. (love it's upgradeable.
My main display aquarium is right in the living room with TV and coaches and I have no issues from light spread. I have ICON"s and OR3 light bars. As others stated above. You will always have the light glow from lights no matter what you go with but I have zero light spread around the aquarium. The floor is dark and the tank is super luminated. I use aluminum rails for my mounting. Very sleek and contemporary.

I thought about putty an angled deflector so I dont have to see lights when sitting down when looking up, but have never done it.
I'm not so worried about light spill into the room as I am the leds themselves bothering us in our peripheral. Mainly because there is 2 couches right next to it where we watch TV. Like you mentioned, when sitting down looking up.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st question: How bad is the light to your eye with nothing to block it? The tank is going in my living room right across some couches. I'm concerned when sitting on the couches the light will bother our eyes. I may need to build some sort of floating canopy or come up with other solution.

2nd question: Do you use a diffuser on your orphecs or feel you need one? I've seen some different ways and and am curious.
1st: they dont go into your eyes like other lights. The clear acrylic diffuses it enough that it isnt harsh at all. I have one next to my tv and it doesnt interupt viewing at all

2nd: If the tank has enough surface movement they dont need any diffuser. There is a very slight discoball effect with low water flow and only visible in shadows like under a rock overhang

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I dont see any big issue looking up at them. Its a bright light going into the aquarium and not in my eyes. So no issues there. I have mine about 10.5" from the water. I dont see any disco effect from my ICON's or the OR3's on the sandbed or anywhere. i can see some slight shimmer which is nice.

When I had the v4 gen 2's, during certain times of the day I was able to see some disco effect on those in the sand. It wasn't really noticeable. I heard people talking about it, so I went looking.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non issue with being “blinded” bit you will see the light and it could be annoying if you have to stare at it all day. mine is mounted very high compared to a typical reef setup and 18” above the water line. full disclosure- at night I toss up a cardboard shield on the tank to block the light for when it kicks on in the morning to not annoy me laying in bed.

Attachments

• 500385D1-5F97-47AF-81EB-38DF1A53BAB3.jpeg
    500385D1-5F97-47AF-81EB-38DF1A53BAB3.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 7D56349A-3B6D-4B32-BE55-545A921B09CD.jpeg
    7D56349A-3B6D-4B32-BE55-545A921B09CD.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 61

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was lucky enough to come across 2 orphec atlantic v4s and 2 4 ft or3 light bars. I'm currently thinking of how I want to mount my lights. I want to do something (personally)different so no canopy. I'm going to hang somehow and showcase the rimless tank. Been looking at pictures of different options.

Thanks for your input.
Running all Orpheks, the light bars are not bad but the Atlantiks themselves will bleed alot why I have them within my canopy. There is currently no 3D shades i've seen but would likely help.
The website shows many configurations and effects.

OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non issue with being “blinded” bit you will see the light and it could be annoying if you have to stare at it all day. mine is mounted very high compared to a typical reef setup and 18” above the water line. full disclosure- at night I toss up a cardboard shield on the tank to block the light for when it kicks on in the morning to not annoy me laying in bed.
I was actually talking to my wife about doing something similar. If it ever is an issue I could get some foam insulation board and make a removable cover painted black. I need to play with it but I'll likely mount around 15 to 16 like the guy I bought them from had them.
yeah I dont see any big issue looking up at them. Its a bright light going into the aquarium and not in my eyes. So no issues there. I have mine about 10.5" from the water. I dont see any disco effect from my ICON's or the OR3's on the sandbed or anywhere. i can see some slight shimmer which is nice.

When I had the v4 gen 2's, during certain times of the day I was able to see some disco effect on those in the sand. It wasn't really noticeable. I heard people talking about it, so I went looking.
I have the gen 1 so that's the biggest reason I was asking about diffuser. Exactly like you mentioned, it seems as the newer upgrades, the better the spread. I'll eventually do the full icon upgrade.

OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you been looking at the new controllable strips? It looks like we will be able to upgrade our original or3 strips to the new dimmable system. Can't wait to see pricing and more details. The website added a few more details pretty recently.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have been waiting for these for my or3 150's. As soon as its available. I will be upgrading. Cant wait actually. It will make my lighting for fluent from on/off of the LED bars and I will be able to blend for optimum spectrum as well.

OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to play with my orphec v4 (believe gen 1) and I'm wondering if the guy had the wrong gateway. It has the gateway 2. Will that not work with gen 1 atlantic v4?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back