Oscar fish with skin flaking off and fins coming off bone of fins

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby Oscar and a few baby Acara cichlids at the same time last Thursday in a 75 gallon. 1 of the Acaras was bullying everyone and a 2nd was also bullying the Oscar. So I ended up returning 2 of the aggressive Acaras for store credit. Store owner claimed everything was already quarantined.

The day I returned them, on Monday, he started to show a lot of signs of stress and some type of skin and fin rot. He was also losing color and became more pale.

Ammonia was .25 and Nitrates were 20 ppm.

I dosed the tank with API Melafix and API Pimafix yesterday and I have done 2 - 1 hour Paraguard dips the last 2 days.

What do you think he has and is there anything I can do to help? I also have Polyguard on hand. I can't tell if it is bacterial or fungal or simply stress. But it's a baby fish and he has a giant tank with another pretty friendly Acara.

I have since separated them by egg crate panels as seen in the photo, to reduce stress. There are plenty of plants for hiding. Temperature is 78 degrees. He is still eating.

I'm not seeing any signs of disease on the Acara.

20240523_102706.jpg
20240523_102653.jpg
20240523_102643.jpg
20240523_102300.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like injury - as compared to disease. You may be compounding the problem with all of the dips, the stress of moving, etc. It's impossible to see all of the aggression that happens in a tank - as when the owner is watching - they tend to be well behaved. Are the lesions progressing? (i.e. something that needs a treatment) - or staying the same. I would tend to separate the 2 fish (as you have done). If you want to treat the Oscar - I would do so with a broad spectrum antibiotic - such as maracyn 2 in a separate hospital tank.

What are you using for filtration? To my eyes - it looks like the fins are starting to recover in the last picture - but - I'm only seeing one instant in time

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like injury - as compared to disease. You may be compounding the problem with all of the dips, the stress of moving, etc. It's impossible to see all of the aggression that happens in a tank - as when the owner is watching - they tend to be well behaved. Are the lesions progressing? (i.e. something that needs a treatment) - or staying the same. I would tend to separate the 2 fish (as you have done). If you want to treat the Oscar - I would do so with a broad spectrum antibiotic - such as maracyn 2 in a separate hospital tank.

What are you using for filtration? To my eyes - it looks like the fins are starting to recover in the last picture - but - I'm only seeing one instant in time

My filtration is an HOB with a sponge and some Matrix and a Fluval 307 with Matrix and Sponges.

I haven't added my Carbon or Purigen yet because I was waiting in case I needed to use medication.

Should I skip medication and just add Carbon and Purigen to reduce everything to Zero?

Would Seachem Polyguard be as good as Maracyn 2 since I have that on hand?

He does seem better than his worst day but not my much. The legions aren't progressing anymore but the loss of fin material is hard to tell. Color seems to be coming back as he is more black now.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like typical aggression damage to me. I don't see any evidence of secondary bacterial or fungal infections (yet).

I see you measured a trace of ammonia and some nitrate, can you test for nitrite? Nitrite is really toxic to freshwater fish.

One thing you might consider is using some aquarium sea salt or kosher sea salt as a "tonic". That will neutralize any toxic nitrite, as well as reduce fungal infections. Because these are south American fish, you don't want to hit them with too much salt. I'd opt for 1 level tablespoon per 10 gallons, although many people go with twice that amount.

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like typical aggression damage to me. I don't see any evidence of secondary bacterial or fungal infections (yet).

I see you measured a trace of ammonia and some nitrate, can you test for nitrite? Nitrite is really toxic to freshwater fish.

One thing you might consider is using some aquarium sea salt or kosher sea salt as a "tonic". That will neutralize any toxic nitrite, as well as reduce fungal infections. Because these are south American fish, you don't want to hit them with too much salt. I'd opt for 1 level tablespoon per 10 gallons, although many people go with twice that amount.

I did test for nitrite and that was Zero. I will add the Salt thanks for the tip. Should I throw in my Carbon and Purigen into the canister too?

Do you think there is any problem for this fish with the API Melafix & Pimafix that I added yesterday, as they are generally pretty natural? And do you think I should dose anymore?

I've heard Melafix/Pimafix is snake oil. Kind of regret purchasing it now.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got a baby Oscar and a few baby Acara cichlids at the same time last Thursday in a 75 gallon. 1 of the Acaras was bullying everyone and a 2nd was also bullying the Oscar. So I ended up returning 2 of the aggressive Acaras for store credit. Store owner claimed everything was already quarantined.

The day I returned them, on Monday, he started to show a lot of signs of stress and some type of skin and fin rot. He was also losing color and became more pale.

Ammonia was .25 and Nitrates were 20 ppm.

I dosed the tank with API Melafix and API Pimafix yesterday and I have done 2 - 1 hour Paraguard dips the last 2 days.

What do you think he has and is there anything I can do to help? I also have Polyguard on hand. I can't tell if it is bacterial or fungal or simply stress. But it's a baby fish and he has a giant tank with another pretty friendly Acara.

I have since separated them by egg crate panels as seen in the photo, to reduce stress. There are plenty of plants for hiding. Temperature is 78 degrees. He is still eating.

I'm not seeing any signs of disease on the Acara.

20240523_102706.jpg
20240523_102653.jpg
20240523_102643.jpg
20240523_102300.jpg
When my Oscar had this, it was my Jack Dempsey and manganese cichlids battering him
Isolate asap and add Epsom salt and stress coat to water to prevent infection

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my Oscar had this, it was my Jack Dempsey and manganese cichlids battering him
Isolate asap and add Epsom salt and stress coat to water to prevent infection

Thanks. So ya it was the Acara. Good thing he will be bigger than him very soon. I have already isolated and have Seachem Stressguard on hand so I'll give that a shot after a water change.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks. So ya it was the Acara. Good thing he will be bigger than them very soon. I have already isolated and have Seachem Stressguard on hand so I'll give that a shot after a water change.
lol- he’ll be able to swallow it
Blue acara can get nasty

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the first fish that spawned for me was a pair of blue Accra - of course they spawn for everyone.... Good luck with your oscar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test for nitrite and that was Zero. I will add the Salt thanks for the tip. Should I throw in my Carbon and Purigen into the canister too?

Do you think there is any problem for this fish with the API Melafix & Pimafix that I added yesterday, as they are generally pretty natural? And do you think I should dose anymore?

I've heard Melafix/Pimafix is snake oil. Kind of regret purchasing it now.

I wouldn't use those products to treat active acute infections, but as a tonic, they won't hurt, and might help prevent infection.

OP
OP
Labora

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using stress guard every day. Added a littl3 salt and a bag of purigen and carbon. Looking pretty good
1000006047.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%

Back