Oscillating circulation powerhead idea

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nothing special but Just had a random idea for the circulation pump.
I'm not sure if it is worth considering, or if someone out there's already done it.
Plus I don't think I can experiment on the idea, at least for the time being, and also it might be too difficult for me to try, but here goes.

The idea is really simple. It's to have the circulation powerhead to oscillate, just like the fans we use at home using the same principle.
Basically you'd add the gearbox that goes in the oscillating fans to the powerhead. Make it rotate left and right on when you push in the pin/button.
The oscillating movement is powered by the same motor that moves the fan. When the is pin pushed down the gear piece teeth click with the worm gear piece (stick-like gear with grooves) so it is powered, when the pin is pulled, it stops.

You'd need to have the powerhead mounted onto a pipe/pole with a bearing to be used as the base for rotation (which then could be mounted to the magnet).
Potential issues that come to my mind would be the gearbox for oscillation being too big and heavy, and the powerhead not being powerful enough, water-resistance being an issue, etc.

What do you reckon? Any thoughts?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoomed powersweep comes to mind. I use to have one d long time ago but they were small and the flow wasn't that wide.

There's an attachment you can get for seaawirls/wavyseas that looks like a paddle to which you can mount a powerheads of your choising. I've seen more if those than powersweeps but they stick out pretty bad IMO.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, steph. A little different from what I had in mind but very interesting indeed. Not sure how PowerSweep and AquaSweep (the nozzle without the pump) work but according to the reviews, they seem quite noisy.
I found some diy versions of the powerhead mounts as well but they all seem to use a different power source/motor for the oscillation.

mefisto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are looking for is called :
osci motion.
Google will help you further.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back