Osmolator 3155 Long Term Maintenance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Osmolator 3155 that is about 3 years old now. Everything is working great. What should I plan on in terms of long term maintenance or replacement of parts (pump, sensor, float)? How long do these key parts last typically?

I want to be proactive and avoid coming home to an empty sump and fried return pumps one day.

I don’t run any additives in my reservoir-just pure 0TDS water. I clean the sensor off 1-2x per month in RODI then wipe with a microfiber. That’s all I do so far.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 6 months in most case, the optic sensor needs a thorough cleaning, soak it in straight white vinegar for an hour off the magnet, wipe it with a soft towel, reinstall. Every 2-3 years in most cases, the pump needs to be replaced. It is worth keeping a spare on hand, the High Jet will last much longer and can be disassembled for service, the best solution in my opinion would be to get a HIgh Jet for routine use, keep your old working pump as a back up. The float will last almost indefinitely as it is rarely used and is just a back up, the optic sensor usually lasts about 5 years, the optic sensor is only available as an installed part. The controller as a whole will usually last about 10 years. The power supply typicaly only fails from water damage or power surges or being dropped. The pump and cleaning the sensor are main areas I would focus on.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wipe off the sensor with my finger if I see the sump level falling below it. If it happens more than a few times over the course of a week or so, I'll do a better job cleaning it. That's about it.
The only other thing would be to keep a spare pump on hand. They're cheap (at least they were) enough to keep them around, but I've never found one in a store, so you'd have to wait a few days for it to show up.

Also, to be fair, I've never had to replace one, but I like them, so I bought an extra replacement pump for another project.
All in all, that gives me three pumps and yet to have one break down.
off the magnet
Protip: when you reinstall it, don't turn it all the way that it locks back in. That way it won't take two *dry* hands and maybe a pliers to get it off next time. Plus you'll be able to leave the magnet in the same spot.

the High Jet
that what?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back