3155 overfilling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this may not be enough info. This 3155 has been working without any issues for the past 2 or more years. Know I have a problem with overfilling the sump by an inch or so. For the pst 2 months I have been leaving it off and running it twice a day which is not ideal. It will fill correctly the shut off. About 30 minutes later, sometimes longer, I will hear the overfill alarm and find it is an inch too high. I don’t get why it runs another fill cycle. I have cleaned the sensor eye and the float. Float is on a separate magnet to give it some more leeway until the overfill float is triggered. The pump (stock) is connected to a 1/2” silicone tube do I thought maybe it fills to much water into the tank before it registers in the return section of the sump. But it fills fine the first time. Any ideas? Should I send it in?
@rvitko

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most overfills are installation related, for that reason I would check points 1, 3 and 4 first, point 2 is a how to run a diagnostic test for the optic sensor, the second negative test is what would be critical for overfills, we can only repair this issue, the others require addressing the way it is installed. The first one, siphon situation 3 is the most common, if you moved the hose or switched to a larger reservoir, this is likely the culprit,

Attachments

• Overfills.pdf
    218.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most overfills are installation related, for that reason I would check points 1, 3 and 4 first, point 2 is a how to run a diagnostic test for the optic sensor, the second negative test is what would be critical for overfills, we can only repair this issue, the others require addressing the way it is installed. The first one, siphon situation 3 is the most common, if you moved the hose or switched to a larger reservoir, this is likely the culprit,
I will try these. Thanks. There is an Amazon grow light in the compartment next to it. There is also a Kessil a360we in the compartment next to it. My Ca and Alk dosing tubes empty within 2 inches of the sensor.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only growlight spectrum will have an effect, it is infrared that is the issue and typically only growlight spectrums include infrared.

OP
OP
Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only growlight spectrum will have an effect, it is infrared that is the issue and typically only growlight spectrums include infrared.
This is the light

IMG_5911.png

You can see the 3155 sensors in the right return compartment

Attachments

• IMG_5912.jpeg
    IMG_5912.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 27

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this will impact the sensor, the sensor emits and recieves infrared, this light will blind it as it also emits infrared.

OP
OP
Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 3155 just overfilled about an hour after I turned back on this morning . Grow light not on yet. Will do the self test and deeper cleaning tonight.

OP
OP
Tcook

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko Do you think the sensor could detect single drops of alk or Ca that drop into the sump from a height of 8” about 1-2 inches in front of the sensor? Surface of water is relatively still in that area of sump. Just grasping at straws here. Will do the other things mentioned above tonight.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible the sensor is the issue, I will say though that the sensor is generally designed to fail off so this is very rare. The self diagnostic second test where it should fail in the wet condition is what will give you the answer. I wouldn't dose near the sensor, it will generally be a cause of problems and maintenance headaches as there will be a rapid build up of calcium on the sensor, I would dose much further upstream where there is more vigorous mixing, I personally prefer the overflow as the drain has high flow and a lot of agitation to get things mixed in. The bigger issue as far as overfills is bubbles and agitation from in coming water creating a film of air on the sensor and bubbles stick more to a sensor that is roughened up with deposits.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back