Osmolator 3155 optical sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I used the technical assistance on the website but haven't heard back. It's been about 2+ weeks. I believe the optical sensor on one of my units needs to be replaced (sometimes it doesn't trigger the ATO or it keeps filling past the sensor & won't stop until it hits the switch). Can you please advise on a replacement?
Thanks!
Pat

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a bad optic sensor results in no fill, not an overfill. How old is it? Can I get your name (you can message me) so I can look into the email issue? The most common issue assuming the float stops it and it always stops as soon as the alarm goes off is bubbles on the sensor, and a very common cause is placing the top off hose near the sensor so the splash of incoming water add bubbles. Optic sensors only detect air vs water and make no differentiation between being dry and a bubble on the sensor. If it instead stops randomly and sometimes fills past the float and may work when the reservoir is low, the issue is a siphon, the hose must terminate at or above the height of the water level in the reservoir.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dumping Kalk into the chamber with the optical sensor? I was dumping saturated kalk ato water from my AVast Stirrer and it was coating the sensor so it wouldn't read. I have since moved the ATO/Kalk water to the Skimmer section and solved the problem. Still needs regular cleaning however.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but a hazed over sensor will usually cause no fill, this tends to be an issue 6-12 months in, though I have seen extremes where kalk is dosed in a very still area by the sensor and it can foul in 2 weeks. The fix in that case is just a couple hour soak in vinegar. It can happen if it is just slightly fouled by calcium deposits that bubbles are more prone to sticking so you can have overfills and then as it hazes over more you will have no fill.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but a hazed over sensor will usually cause no fill, this tends to be an issue 6-12 months in, though I have seen extremes where kalk is dosed in a very still area by the sensor and it can foul in 2 weeks. The fix in that case is just a couple hour soak in vinegar. It can happen if it is just slightly fouled by calcium deposits that bubbles are more prone to sticking so you can have overfills and then as it hazes over more you will have no fill.

Mine was hazed over in a week to two weeks like you said. But you are right the sensor would not read at all and the water level would decrease not increase so his mechanical overfill sensor is backwards most likely.

OP
OP
pugcrush

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a bad optic sensor results in no fill, not an overfill. How old is it? Can I get your name (you can message me) so I can look into the email issue? The most common issue assuming the float stops it and it always stops as soon as the alarm goes off is bubbles on the sensor, and a very common cause is placing the top off hose near the sensor so the splash of incoming water add bubbles. Optic sensors only detect air vs water and make no differentiation between being dry and a bubble on the sensor. If it instead stops randomly and sometimes fills past the float and may work when the reservoir is low, the issue is a siphon, the hose must terminate at or above the height of the water level in the reservoir.
It's around 5 years old. Yes, it didn't fill (looks like it hadn't worked for a few days - it's on my parent's tank). Water was below the optical sensor. I re-powered the unit and (autofilled as it does when powering up) & at that point it would keep filling passed the optical eye. I read a few other stories when it's a the sensor going bad. I replaced it with one of my other working ones.

It's certainly not a siphon issue or the way it's setup.

I just re-read my original post and that's a pretty bad description lol. Sorry for throwing everybody off. I'm a bit tired at night these days.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the age, a failing optical sensor is the most likely, they usually last 7-8 years but if it is more than 5 it is the most probable. It can be replaced, the part is $28.80 and I don't charge to install them, it would just be the part and shipping. I head to Germany May 3 so I need to get it soon to have it done before I leave. Please send in the controller-
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Be sure to include a note with return address and phone number.

Last edited:

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the age, a failing optical sensor is the most likely, they usually last 7-8 years but if it is more than 5 it is the most probable. It can be replaced, the part is $28.80 and I don't charge to install them, it would just be the part and shipping. I head to Germany May 3 so I need to get it soon to have it done before I leave. Please send in the controller-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Be sure to include a note with return address and phone number.
Hello. I’m having the same issues and believe the optical sensor is faulty. It’s about 7yrs old. It will not trigger the ATO pump.

is the above post still an option for replacement?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please send it in. For such a repair, I only need part 5017.000, the controller with attached sensors, sending no other parts including any magnets keeps the shipping weight under 1lb and will drastically reduce shipping costs both ways.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please send it in. For such a repair, I only need part 5017.000, the controller with attached sensors, sending no other parts including any magnets keeps the shipping weight under 1lb and will drastically reduce shipping costs both ways.
Great. Thank you!

I leave this weekend but will try to get it out to you prior.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back