Osmolator Switched Socket

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up because the metering pump seems less than robust. How do I connect it to the osmolator controller? Both sets of wires have spring loaded female receptacles. Do I cut those off and strip the wires to connect them to the control unit?

Also, what the heck is the "Support for optical sensor" for? It's #12 on the list of parts supplied. Is it a spare? I don't see where the directions say.

Finally, can the magnet be used without the 4 little clear bumpers? I don't see where my unit came with them.

Thanks!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t set mine up with my Avast peristaltic pump yet, but I plan on using this BRS video as a quick set up guide...

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up because the metering pump seems less than robust. How do I connect it to the osmolator controller? Both sets of wires have spring loaded female receptacles. Do I cut those off and strip the wires to connect them to the control unit?

Also, what the heck is the "Support for optical sensor" for? It's #12 on the list of parts supplied. Is it a spare? I don't see where the directions say.

Finally, can the magnet be used without the 4 little clear bumpers? I don't see where my unit came with them.

Thanks!
I believe the pump will come with the wire ends exposed...just plug the ends into the female spring loaded mechanism until they seat/bottom out. They shouldn't come out once locked in. Polarity doesn't matter, any wire in either hole.

You do not need the magnet cushions. Just be careful when you go to install it because the tunzee magnets are pretty strong!

OP
OP
Tennsquire

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the pump will come with the wire ends exposed...just plug the ends into the female spring loaded mechanism until they seat/bottom out. They shouldn't come out once locked in. Polarity doesn't matter, any wire in either hole.

You do not need the magnet cushions. Just be careful when you go to install it because the tunzee magnets are pretty strong!
Question is how to connect the tunze switched outlet so I can use another pump. The included metering pump seems kinda flimsy. I pulled the connectors off of the wires, but haven't hooked up the pump I want to use.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, stock tunzee pump has always worked fine for me. I have 8 years on my current tunzee pump. Dont run it dry, should last quite awhile.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched that. The connectors in the video have screws; mine don't. I just pulled them out instead....

Yeah, you’re right. I just took a look at mine. No screws either! I guess I’ll be stripping some wires when I set mine up too. :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older controllers had screws so they include clips on the switched socket, if you don't need them, you can either connect the two clips with a short length of speaker wire or cut the clips off the socket, but if you do that I would retin the wire ends with solder to prevent corrosion and coming loose.

Generally the rubber feet, they are clear and the little piece of 4 is about the size of a postage stamp, they are typically pressed into the foam between the magnets when you got it, they can also be stuck to the bubble wrap.

The pump included is generally the best solution, they are also cheap, so you can keep a spare, the main issue with bigger pumps is the flow rate is typically very high causing overfilling or conversely with peristaltic pumps, way too low. Keep in mind the Osmolator will only allow a pump to run 10 minutes and then it shuts down as a safety and has to be reset to run again. We offer this accessory mainly for set ups over 400 gallons or very long pump runs where a bigger pump might be needed.

The support for optical sensor is on the magnet holder, the listing is for it as a spare part if yours were to ever be broken.

OP
OP
Tennsquire

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, Roger! My previous ATO (which lasted about 15 years) was tied into a small powerhead. If I hook that powerhead up with the switched outlet, will the optical sensor not stop it when it gets back to the determined level? I've also read something (in this forum) about it pumping a cup (or half a cup) regardless of level.....

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Osmolator has 3 timer functions. First, every time it is powered on the pump runs 15-20 seconds. This is done to prime the pump and tubing and so an installer can verify everything is working. It also waits 5 seconds to fill, this is indicated by a green blinking level light and is done to avoid topping off for waves and minor surface disturbances. It also overfills for 5 seconds to minimize the number of run times a day, this is indicated by the yellow pump on and green level light being on simultaneously. With the stock pump the amount of these fills can be controlled by setting the pump speed inside the controller. With the switched outlet this setting should be set to max and you can use a ball valve or whatever flow adjustment the pump has.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back