Ostreopsis?

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you confirm Ostreopsis? Not a terrible outbreak, mostly on glass, some snot. Been blowing it out into floss every day. Thought cyano and finally looked under microscope today.

What is best course of action? I am reading people have had success with UV after dark. Any other methods?

15 gallon tank. No skimmer. I have a 24W green killing machine but that seems excessive. Might give it a try since I have one.

Any advice?

TYIA!

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but that looks like the dino I had a few years ago. Total blackouts and uv took care of it. Can turn the light on to feed the fish, then back off for a few days. May have to repeat weekly for a few months.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis to me.

Chris Nano Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis. UV light is your best option. If you have corals blackout my not be an option but I would cut the light cycle and any white red light, blue light only so you can keep coral as happy as you can. Run plain carbon. Those Dino’s are toxic and corals, fish and inverts won’t like it. Cover all sides of the tank during lights out. Card board boxes work good for that. Dose 1ml peroxide for every 10 gallons of water daily. What are your nutrient levels? Mainly nitrate and phosphate. Nitrate and Phos should not be at zero so you may have to dose those to get them up. Also dose microbac daily. Read attached file below if you haven’t already. Step by step guide to wipe them out.

Attachments

• Dealing With Dinos - Rev G - Published Feb 2022.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 39
OP
OP
ptrusk

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chris Nano Reef appreciate the guidance. Was absolutely my fault. Newish tank, LPS was looking punky so I fed heavy and tried to boost phosphate with roids instead of dosing neophos. Cyano bloom and like a dumb as vacuumed the sheet out of the sand bed. So much for rip clean eh?

OP
OP
ptrusk

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Turned off lights and added uv on Wednesday. Turned lighs back on Friday, not a sign of dinos. Pulled out uv. Still crystal clear this morning. Thanks all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back