OT - Smoke

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this belongs in the Lounge... and if it does, please move.

This is smoke, literally. Taken with my 5D, 100mm macro lens, and a 200w monolight with a 24x36 softbox. I used a pop bottle with a burning piece of paper in it, with a black backdrop behind it. I'm going to try again with a smaller aperture, but I like the look with it at 2.8.

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos!

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) Here's a pic showing a little more of how it was done. I'd say btkrausen is the only person on this forum that will know what kind of soft drink this held

BehindScenes.jpg

BehindScenes2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, both of you. Ale 8 is the best thing ever invented... .I usually end up with a recycling bin on Friday morning absolutely packed full of Ale 8 cans and bottles haha.

OP
OP
mfdrookie516

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. It's really not that difficult... this was my first attempt and after about 5 shots, I figured out that autofocus sure wasn't something to use for this type of shot. I think the key is lighting it from the side. I'm sure a speedlight would work, or even a lamp with a modifier of some sort if you don't have a flash. I just had the monolight sitting there from taking some pictures of my son, so I figured I'd use it. I might try again soon using two lights and some gels to add some color. Hmmm... I'm tempted to go try that now, but I'll wait until some time when my son isn't asleep (the smoke detector might wake him haha).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back