OT: worm farm

  • Thread starter Thread starter AquaMama13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AquaMama13

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
988
Reaction score
741
Location
Bristol, Ct
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't reef related but I was hoping someone might be able to help. I have an Axolotl and he should be eating earthworms, but I have no idea where to get them. So I was thinking about starting a worm farm of my own but don't know how to get it started, does anyone have one or know anything about keeping one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425653993.826853.jpg
 
He was chilling on his moss ball when I snapped that picture. He looks like he shouldn't exist lol!
 
Walmart carries worms or many gas stations for fishing.

In the summer time, take some jumper cables and put them on your car battery on a rainy day, with the car running. Put a nice big screw driver on each one and jamb them into the ground in a nice muddy spot or where you think a good spot might be. Within minutes they will all come to the surface and you can collect hundreds!

Straight out of Jurassic Park, but it really does work. I used to do that to collect them for fishing.
 
He is mature, we have had him for just over a year a, he is around 8 inches long. He has been eating bloodworms but I would like to give him some different food now that he's bigger.
 
I've done worm bins before... A lot of people use them for composting... If you google search worm compost bin you should find some good stuff on it... There are even specific worms that are better for composting... It is super environmentally friendly and it makes the best compost and fertilizer for your garden
 
Yea I have done a little research, just wasn't sure how to get it started. But I think I have an idea of how I want it to be. I'm excited about switching his food source up a little. I think he's ready for it.
 
Good luck with the baby! I have never given mine fish, I have read that they carry some parasites that can harm axolotls, also if they don't get eaten sometimes the fish will nip at the Axolotls gills. We got ours as a baby, its awesome to watch them grow
 
I know, right? I've heard that before, lol! The "wild type" or black ones look just like Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon, which is funny because Axolotls don't have any teeth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new