Other filter options than Carbon

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

I am using a couple hang on filters in my aquarium until I get the sump/refugium set up. I currently have 4 hanging (all given to me from fellow hobbyists) on a 75g. There are cords everywhere. There is also live sand, and 70 pounds of dry marco rock in there for 3 months. Seeded with the LS and one piece of LR from LFS. One is rated for 30-60, two are 20-40, and one is 15 gallon filter. (If I add it all up, worst case scenario I'm filtering 95 gallons. I highly doubt if this is how the math is applied, but I'm K.I.S.S.

I have bought filter media bags and filled them all with activated carbon. I have been placing them in the spot where the refillable filter cartridges are suppose to go. There is a lot of carbon filtering this tank, to say the least.

One yellowtail damsel (that will probably soon have to find a new home, thanks for the recommendation LFS....) in there for 3 months. Tank has cycled, no ammonia/nitrite and nitrate doesn't ever get past about 20 PPM. I've done about 3 water changes of 10 gallons, but haven't had any algae growth or nasty looking tanks that require more water to be changed. I need more of a bio-load, I think.

1) What other types of filter media other than carbon are there? Or is carbon pretty standard as the only and correct choice.
2) I have two 4 ft. OR3 LED bars. Since I've cycled, and the low nitrate... what type of coral would be a good first coral to introduce to the tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floss which mechanically catches debris and you toss/replace

Purigen

Phosphate reducing medias

I do not suggest you run filtering stuff just because it exists. You run what you need and nothing else. Otherwise you can drive nutrients too low

Some tanks don’t use any filter at all. Just flow and live rock. Filters and sumps are totally optional. Just depends on stocking level and the types of critters you want to keep.

Running a lot of carbon can negatively effect Tangs. Something to keep in mind. Potentially causes head and lateral line disease.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, pretty much just carbon, and not everyone uses carbon 24/7. Live rocks, high flow, and water changes are the main filtration..... until you get your sump and you can add other filtrations (skimmer, uv, reactors...).

Personally I would remove 2 of your HOB's and add a skimmer, it would be more beneficial overall than 3 HOB's all filtering carbon.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tidal 110 on a 60 breeder with nothing but purigen and filter floss, works wonders for me. Along with a HOB skimmer and everything is fine and dandy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back