OUCH!!! Got stung by a Long Spine Urchin!!

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got stung by a long spine urchin just a few mins ago. It stings. Should i be worried about anything?? I see the needle in my finger. Any ideas on getting it out??

mltascp

Alabama Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak in vingar. This will help but it will have to come out on its on. My husband says a royal pain in the butt. He says they have barbs on them and are hard to dig out. If it makes you fill better he says the ones in the aquarium are not as bad as the wild ones.
Monica

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will sting for a few hours to a day. One of our employees ran it under really hot water for awhile. Vinegar works too. The spine will be hard to get out because of the barbs.

Off topic but believe it or not one of our employees 2 years ago was shocked by 2 electric eels and 2 hours later stung by a lionfish.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the vinegar. A friend was helping out the other day and got nailed by our longspine. It burned for a few hours and left a bloodly looking spot.

Jack

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its just superficial you should be able to get it out with a sterilzed needle...that hurts bad I think its probobly happened to most everyone that has kept thos things...I had one in a refugium one time...bad idea when it came to harvesting the macro..take care!

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been stung by an urchin but an 18" wide Ritteri Anemone got me good. Arm swelled up and burned for a couple days. Odd thing was I was handling Ritteri Anemones for almost a full hour, none of them bothered me until the big one!

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done it more than a couple times....it isnt fun.

Im pretty sure the only ones that are venomous are the tiny ones on that are really close to the body.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get stung by urchins quite a bit. The urchin splinter will dissolve in your finger after some time. Its no big deal. I try to get them out when I can. Running your finger under hot water is not the best idea, it will open it up and the needle will go in deeper. Use some sort of antibiotic cream on the opening.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use a tweezer it will break off where you try to pull it out. When the pain goes away just use a sterlize needle and dig it out. It doesnt hurt that bad. I been stung by lionfish, urchin, and all kind of anemone. Bristle worms are pretty bad too it just itch like crazy.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be golldanged if i can find where to buy it, but there is stuff called Raleigh's salve. i don't know how it would work on this, but man, that stuff can draw some stuff out!! it's the kind of stuff you'd expect to have turpentine as an ingredient :haha:

i hit my thumb with my hammer while building my garage, and it was just throbbing. went over to my mom's later on to visit, and she gave me some to put on it. it even stopped my thumb from hurting. i don't know what that stuff has in it, gasoline, turpentine, sodium pentathol, whatever, it's awesome! :)

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, now i found it

<H4 class=headline>Antiseptic Salve is a must have in your medicine cabinet! Same formula that your Grandma used!
You will love the original Rawleigh's Antiseptic Salve with its soothing lubricating action. Still utilizing the original formulation, the golden salve in the gold and red tin is easily recognized as one of Rawleigh's most famous antiseptic products. A thin coating keeps air and dirt away from areas where the Antiseptic Salve is applied. Rawleigh Antiseptic Salve is recommended for superficial burns, scalds, blisters, boils, bruises, minor cuts and wounds, minor sunburn, chapped, chafed and irritated skin surfaces, bee stings, urchin stings, chapped hands, cracked feet, ear aches, hives, insect bites, rashes (including diaper and prickly heat rash), saddle sores, warts, and as a poultice. Rawleigh Salve can also be used on animals. Rawleigh's Antiseptic Salve comes in a 5 oz. / 138 grams round container.
</H4>okay, so i added the bit about the urchin :snicker:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been stung twice... No biggie, it just hurts. The last time I dug it out with an exacto knife, I think I made things worse that way. :eek:

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! Just found the ingredients for Rawleighs:

Ingredients in Antiseptic Salve: Turpentine and Liquefied Phenol combined in a base of Petrolatum, Paraffin and Cottonseed Oil.

Antiseptic Salve is essentially a drawing ointment and is therefore excellent for encouraging stubborn blisters to the surface and extracting dirt painlessly from cuts and abrasions

Last edited:

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there too. Hurts like a bugger, and longer than a wood sliver, so I'd guess there's some chemical in there. I broke it trying to do the sliver thing with a sterilized needle. Just left the rest it in and within a few days I couldn't see the black spot anymore. Only issue would be if you are allergic, but if you're reading this and still breathing, you're probably gonna be okay.

BuyTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to get the spine out just bc it will hurt or be more painful if left in. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I was back to normal the next day and couldnt even see the mark or and redness. Hope your better.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back