OUCH! Have you ever been injured while reefing?

Have you ever been injured reefing?

• Total voters

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If injured while building a reef tank counts... I cut my finger wide open in two places on a drill bit about six weeks ago. Seven stitches and a bunch of embarrassment, but it's all good now.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ibuprofen +1

Hydrocortisone - Bad idea, this could make it worse as it thins the dermis

Avoid Neosporin (triple antibiotic) if cut is deep (use polysporin or plain bacitracin ointment)

If pain persists, you can always buy a product that contains lidocaine otc (Aspercream is a good choice as some formulations contains aspirin to help with pain absorbed through the skin. If unable to find you can use this....

You can also do a makeshift ointment: Crush using a mortar and pestle (bottom of a glass works too) Ibuprofen 200mg 15 tablets/per 1 oz and suspend it in Aquaphor, Petroleum Jelly, or Eucerin Cream. Apply it directly and rub into skin around the wound every 2 hours until the pain subsides.

Who knew R2R was such great place for medical advice! Can we start a new forum section for this??? Jk jk

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hobbies-leisure-electrocution-electrocute-electrocuting-grey_area-gray_area-phin152_low.jpg

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tagged by bristleworms, sliced by a tang, and slightly electrocuted. I am sure there is more but I have been reefing for 1/3 of my life and I can’t even remember what I did last week lol. I also occasionally break out in a rash on my forearm after tank maintenance, I haven’t figured out why and it is random. I think we should change it from “no” to “not yet” lol.
The rash is from leaving your arm in the water to long or not rinsing it immediately after. If you have sensitive skin this will probably happen all the time.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsafe.png

Okay okay, terrible memes from a terrible person aside I've had minor stings from my BTAs, clownfish attacks and had my hand slapped by a tang (blades missed me because I have the reflex of a monkey).

I might be immune to bristle worms. Either that or they don't bother me anymore.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how many times I've cut my fingers on sharp edges moving rocks and corals around. Been stabbed by Lionfish a couple of times. Had a big female Percula who would hover when cleaning and dash in and bite the skin at the base of my fingers and actually draw blood ;Rage Inhaled salt dust mixing a barrel of salt. Rashes on the inside of my forarms from Euphylia and BTAs. Pulled muscles moving big tanks. By far the worst has been getting infections cutting or scraping hands or fingers dealing with rusty and broken hose clamps in tight spaces.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rash is from leaving your arm in the water to long or not rinsing it immediately after. If you have sensitive skin this will probably happen all the time.

I work at an LFS and when I am at work my arms are more often wet then dry, wouldn’t I constantly have a rash then lol? It is totally random and only happens every so often. It clears up within an hour usually.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby 15 years and never a serious injury. I’ve always washed my hands, cut my fingers moving rocks probably literally 100 times. Setting up my wall tank rock — literally could have lost my fingers. Virulent infection immensely painful!

Some ABX and little tolerance for it after 24-36 hours of excruciating pain saved me! Be careful out there! Boil your hands in the hottest water and soap you can handle for as long as you can handle (within reason). I used to think infections were somewhat of a joke — or at least, I didn’t take them very seriously. Now I do!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slipped and fell in Hawaii while walking across some rocks to get from one tide pool to another (Stupid move on my part they were wet and covered in algae). Had a pretty nasty gash on my hand and some scrapes on my foot but I went immediately back and washed it all with soap and water and applied antiseptic and bandaids and it never got infected. Ruined my snorkeling for the day though.
It happened here:
06EEF31E-45BE-4F07-8F52-64D8D62A83D1.jpeg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slipped and fell in Hawaii while walking across some rocks to get from one tide pool to another (Stupid move on my part they were wet and covered in algae). Had a pretty nasty gash on my hand and some scrapes on my foot but I went immediately back and washed it all with soap and water and applied antiseptic and bandaids and it never got infected. Ruined my snorkeling for the day though.
It happened here:
06EEF31E-45BE-4F07-8F52-64D8D62A83D1.jpeg
Beautiful shot! Sorry for the ruined snorkeling!

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an LFS and when I am at work my arms are more often wet then dry, wouldn’t I constantly have a rash then lol? It is totally random and only happens every so often. It clears up within an hour usually.
Do you have sensitive skin? It only happens to me every once and awhile from all the nitrates/nitrites/ammonia/salt. Sometimes it can be to much for your skin to handle so you break out in a rash clears up in an hour your fine.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how many times I've cut my fingers on sharp edges moving rocks and corals around. Been stabbed by Lionfish a couple of times. Had a big female Percula who would hover when cleaning and dash in and bite the skin at the base of my fingers and actually draw blood ;Rage Inhaled salt dust mixing a barrel of salt. Rashes on the inside of my forarms from Euphylia and BTAs. Pulled muscles moving big tanks. By far the worst has been getting infections cutting or scraping hands or fingers dealing with rusty and broken hose clamps in tight spaces.
I've always wondered what being stabbed by a lionfish is like.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never technically been injured reefing but I was hurt at my job at a lfs. A customer wanted to get a better look at one of the eels that we had. It was a more aggressive eel, (the type with a pointier snout) so when I used my hand to try and swoosh him out of his lair he responded by crunching down on one of my fingers. The 70 gallon tank instantly turned red with my blood. I calmly closed my hand into a fist and told the customer that I needed to get a bandaid, LOL. When I got to the office and surveyed the damage, his 3 rows of razor teeth had cut me to the bone. I washed the wound well, smothered it with neosporin and butterflied it shut. That was 16 years ago and the scar is not even visible anymore.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back