Very Injured Snowflake

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone,

I haven’t found much about treating eels that become injured. I believe there may have been a squabble for a piece of food and the snowflake was bitten on the top of his head by the tessalata, barely missing his eyes, imagine a bonnet, that’s what it looks like. It is red and there’s visible tissue damage and he is clearly in distress.

Can I dose thé display with H202?
I have some général cure
I have a bit of kanamycin left over from when Canada allowed fish meds.

The H202 would be my preference if that is an acceptable treatment, if I take him out I do not think I would be able to put him back.
@Humblefish
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the fishmedic crew to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for future reference with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the fishmedic crew to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for future reference with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:
Oh, okay, thank you

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king @Jay Hemdal
Pics would help a lot. Eels aren’t great with meds, so I’d hold off unless really necessary or you get confirmation from people more knowledgeable in treating them.
I’d recommend separating out the aggressor if possible - even if it was an accident at feeding you don’t want to risk anything until it heals. Any treatment is best done in a qt anyway.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day everyone,

I haven’t found much about treating eels that become injured. I believe there may have been a squabble for a piece of food and the snowflake was bitten on the top of his head by the tessalata, barely missing his eyes, imagine a bonnet, that’s what it looks like. It is red and there’s visible tissue damage and he is clearly in distress.

Can I dose thé display with H202?
I have some général cure
I have a bit of kanamycin left over from when Canada allowed fish meds.

The H202 would be my preference if that is an acceptable treatment, if I take him out I do not think I would be able to put him back.
@Humblefish
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Skip the peroxide on your DT - any dose that would be inhibitory for pathogenic bacteria is going to harm your beneficial bacteria as well.

How out of date is the kanamycin?
Can you post a picture so we can assess the severity of the injury?

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king @Jay Hemdal
Pics would help a lot. Eels aren’t great with meds, so I’d hold off unless really necessary or you get confirmation from people more knowledgeable in treating them.
I’d recommend separating out the aggressor if possible - even if it was an accident at feeding you don’t want to risk anything until it heals. Any treatment is best done in a qt anyway.
Yes, okay, awaiting confirmation. Thank you

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the peroxide on your DT - any dose that would be inhibitory for pathogenic bacteria is going to harm your beneficial bacteria as well.

How out of date is the kanamycin?
Can you post a picture so we can assess the severity of the injury?

Jay
The kanamycin is 2-3 years old. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 34

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there two threads about the same fish? That gets too confusing to me…..I’m retired (grin).

That is a very serious bite. Even without an infection, the blood loss and trauma is going to be a problem.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there two threads about the same fish? That gets too confusing to me…..I’m retired (grin).

That is a very serious bite. Even without an infection, the blood loss and trauma is going to be a problem.

Jay
I posted in the incorrect place initially, sorry for the confusion. Yes .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back